Roosters all the same age, only one is mating and only two will crow

Thunder344

Crowing
Sep 12, 2020
Stafford, Virginia
Hello yall,

I have some questions about my faverolles roosters. I currently have seven, and they are all the same age except that one is a bit younger. Only Griffin and Calvin will crow, and only Griffin will mate with the girls. Griffin started crowing sometime around Dec. and Calvin started a short time after that. I'm confused why the other boys haven't started crowing or mating. Any help is appreciated 😂
I have to get my phone, but I'll post some photos later today.

The ones that are not crowing or mating are subordinate. They will eventually challenge their positions.
It sounds like you have too many cockerels and you need to rehome all but one or two depending on the number of pullets/hens you have and the your setup.
Eventually, they will start to fight. And sooner than later, your girls will start to show signs of over-mating and stress from all the male competition.

The ones that are not crowing or mating are subordinate. They will eventually challenge their positions.
It sounds like you have too many cockerels and you need to rehome all but one or two depending on the number of pullets/hens you have and the your setup.
Eventually, they will start to fight. And sooner than later, your girls will start to show signs of over-mating and stress from all the male competition.
I have a total of 63 chickens. Minus the roosters, and one girl that has been living inside for the past month due to wry neck, 55 girls.
I plan on rehoming most of them once I find suitable homes.
Thank you!

A much bigger operation, than most on this forum. I am sure no offense was meant. Many people think they can keep a lot of roosters together. in smaller set ups.

As for your questions, though DobieLover is spot on. Take a very good look at those boys. Anything not crowing is not dominant yet. Some longtime producers, would cull based on that, they want earlier maturing birds.

With that many roosters, not crowing, not breeding probably keeps them from being attacked by the more dominant birds. SO if you remove a dominant bird, there will be quite a shift in hierarchy, and might be some battles as they try and take advantage of this.

Eventually though, they will all mature and begin to crow. Sometimes you will get crowing contests. Some may never become very high in the flock, but will hang out on the edges of the birds, some will section off certain hens, and some hens will choose a specific rooster. A lot depends on the space, and the vegetation that you have.

With 63 + birds, I would imagine quite a bit of space, and you can get away with multiple roosters... kind of, sort of. You may still wind up with some fighting, might fight once and settle it. Might fight to the death but much less chance than if you had 7 roosters in 20 hens.

Good husbandry requires careful monitoring - and adjusting as things change. Good luck,

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom