Roosters and Cats?

kuulgrl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 9, 2013
Central Michigan
We are going to look at chickens on Saturday. My husband is a bit worried about getting a rooster (Barred Rock is what we'll be looking at) and thinks he might hurt our cats. Now I can't guarantee that the cats won't try to play with or attack the chickens either.

So I'm wondering what have your experiences been?

The rooster may very well attack the cat if the cat goes into his territory. If the cat's smart, it won't come back. End of problem.

My cat has tried to sneak up on baby chicks before, only to be attacked by Mama Hen. She bloodied the cat's nose, and that has been the end of the problem.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Our roos love to attack cats. They will attack them especially if they get near the food or chicks. Sometimes they just do it to remind them who the boss is lol. Don't worry though, cats are not dumb enough to sit around and let a roo attack them. They will run away.

That's what I figured.

Really how many farms have barn cats and chickens? DUH

Two more days till I go check out isa brown hens and a barred rock rooster. We'll see what happens then.

They should work out some sort of truce - you stay in your area and I will stay in mine sort of thing. So far, my barn cats have watched the chickens from afar, avoided the chickens altogether, or in one case, actually slept with the chickens and hung out in the coop and run. But I usually have large birds (brahmas, orpingtons, etc.) so that may have something to do with it. Always be prepared to intervene but hopefully you won't have to. :)

Back
Top Bottom