Roosters and the color red?

We have a foster rooster living in our garage at the moment. He's recovering from his injuries in isolation and the only dry place we have is the garage in a dog crate. He does get let out to roam the garage during the day, but I might have to put an end to that since he hurt his foot sometime today....

Any way, he likes to roam the house in the early evening before his bedtime and just hang out with the family (he's really sweet). EXCEPT - when my youngest daughter came downstairs wearing red pajama pants. He stopped preening and watching TV and CHASED her all the way up to her room!!! Does the color red bring out aggression in roosters like it does for bulls???

thanks!
We have a foster rooster living in our garage at the moment. He's recovering from his injuries in isolation and the only dry place we have is the garage in a dog crate. He does get let out to roam the garage during the day, but I might have to put an end to that since he hurt his foot sometime today....

Any way, he likes to roam the house in the early evening before his bedtime and just hang out with the family (he's really sweet). EXCEPT - when my youngest daughter came downstairs wearing red pajama pants. He stopped preening and watching TV and CHASED her all the way up to her room!!! Does the color red bring out aggression in roosters like it does for bulls???

thanks!
Eleven years later, here's a reply from England! Re your cockerel response to red, I have experienced a similar reaction from swans. In 2021 since feeding pond birds during months of 'near lockdown' whenever I wear a red skirt or red shoes the swans eat my offerings (swan pellets, garden bird mix and defrosted green peas) and with a marked lack of gratitude pause to peck at my red items.

My hens fight over any red treats first, no matter what else there may be to eat at the time. Especially tomato scraps or strawberries. I have never had problems with attacks from red clothing items, nor has anyone else, like when my granddaughter wears red tennis shoes.

Back
Top Bottom