Roosters as best buddies?!

Parrotchick

Songster
10 Years
Nov 13, 2009
Boonsboro MD
I hear all these stories of mean roos, but I have been sooo lucky. I do have a high roo to hen ratio, but aside from a few girls having worn backs (I’m going to try Hensavers), I don’t have problems. The boys take turns looking out for different girls. Matings are usually cancelled out by another boy running over. They are totally respectful of me-nobody has remotely tried anything naughty around me-perhaps they sense that I took them from a likely fate with a stew pot. I don’t let them mate in front of me and that’s pretty much the only behavioral intervention I ever need. I’ve had them for a year and a half; they were all between 6-15 months old when I got them, so I figured if they were going to turn mean or hormonal they would have done so already.

The only issue is that last winter, they started picking on Spitz, the black and white guy. Mostly, he’s allowed to roost last. I let him out of the pen every morning to free range, whether or not I let everyone else out. He hangs out with the younger hens when they’re all out. I love this guy. He’s very friendly and comes when I call. Sometimes I can hold him and give him wattle rubs.

Because of all the roos, I was hesitant to take Frank, the buff Polish, from the petting farm where I worked. But many of the birds were being sold/sent to auction and I didn’t like the odds for a tail-less roo (now growing back). Frank was the most chivalrous boy I’ve ever seen. He would test treats, then drop them on the ground and call the hens over. He never took advantage if he was alone to gobble up the food while nobody was looking. I HAD to give him a chance. When I first got him home, he was challenged of course. He was scared and got stuck in a cinder block that holds up the coop. I started letting him out of the pen with Spitz, and even though he’s adjusted, he still likes to come out.

Last week Spitz seemed a little listless and I was worried, though I couldn’t see anything physically wrong. Frank stayed by his side. And I’ve noticed they still stay together a lot, even when all the birds are out. I didn’t know it was possible, but the two roosters seem like good friends. I hope it doesn't change. I LOVE roos. Too bad they usually don't love each other.
44462_img_4328.jpg
44462_img_4331.jpg

That is really cool. Hope they stay best buddies. They are so cute. I have 2 roos that are friends, but they grew up together I got them when they were 10 days old. You often see them laying next to each other on the lawn chair. Lindy is the alpha but they dont often have any squabbles and if they do its short lived and not violent just a little bit of show. Im with you I love my roos and hope they always stay friends This is Lindy and Penguin
62756_roosters.jpg

I have heard BYCers talk about "bachelor" pens with only roosters. Does this mean that roosters will get along if there are no hens to fight over? My roosters get along pretty well, but they were raised together. I have new roos growing up that I'd like to watch for a while for sire quality, but I'm afraid the older roosters will hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom