Roosters as Chick-sitters?

Sounds like he has the makings of a good baby sitter.
It can and does work with the right rooster.
Even when i'm outside my sitter dosent leave the chicks even though he was also one of my chicks.
20190521_134324.jpg
20190521_134352.jpg

What breed is that rooster? He's gorgeous, looks like a painting!

I noticed in the past 2 days of this experiment, my rooster appears to have calmed down a bit. (I used to be the object of all his aggression, now he gives me a firm, single peck and that's only when I've picked up a chick!)
Do you think it's because
1. The hen is on vacation from his amorous intentions?
2. He's surrounded by so many little ones he's too busy to care?
3. Our spring is transitioning into summer (in theory, I'm still not surprised if we get snow in May yet), so the need to make baby chicks is less important?

He is a salmon faverolles and hands down the best rooster i've ever had. :)
What breed is that rooster? He's gorgeous, looks like a painting!

I noticed in the past 2 days of this experiment, my rooster appears to have calmed down a bit. (I used to be the object of all his aggression, now he gives me a firm, single peck and that's only when I've picked up a chick!)
Do you think it's because
1. The hen is on vacation from his amorous intentions?
2. He's surrounded by so many little ones he's too busy to care?
3. Our spring is transitioning into summer (in theory, I'm still not surprised if we get snow in May yet), so the need to make baby chicks is less important?

I have a game rooster that is sitting part of day on nest with hen incubating clutch. At night he roost in same location and appears to not defecate in nest (not natural, but inducible). He will not kill male offspring when he can discern sex. I am not certain he can discern sex of chicks as early as I can. He will help greatly with prevention of siblicide among chicks and juveniles the games are prone to do. The latter is problem is major reason I employ chick sitting roosters plus they keep Coopers Hawks away.

Back
Top Bottom