Roosters bad leg

cristianmonico

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2022
When I got my new rooster a month ago I noticed he had a zip tie on his right leg that was probably put on there when he was smaller because his skin grew around the zip tie so I cut it and weeks later he is walking with a limp what to do?

I had a similar experience with my Barred Bantam Cochin hen. She was limping, and when I took her to the vet, he had to do surgery to remove the "stricture," -- he didn't say if it was a zip tie or a band -- from her leg because the skin had grown around it.

Sally seemed fine afterward, but eventually lost all the feathers on that leg. However, she kept the essential blood supply, so we didn't have to amputate. To this day, more than two years later, she hops more than she walks. However, she is still incredibly fierce and when she gets "hopping mad," the others scatter!

Best of luck with your boy!

Pictures would be helpful. How is the color in the leg? Tissue or nerve damage is always a risk when this happens. It makes me think leg bands should not be used to tell chicks apart, since so many people rehome birds and forget about them.

When I got my new rooster a month ago I noticed he had a zip tie on his right leg that was probably put on there when he was smaller because his skin grew around the zip tie so I cut it and weeks later he is walking with a limp what to do?

Attachments

• IMG_20220821_170453865.jpg
    IMG_20220821_170453865.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom