Orpington rooster limping on one foot..

angiblck

Hatching
Sep 14, 2023
A bit over two months ago I found my rooster (5 y/o sweet big blue Orpington) limping and holding his left foot up as much as he could. The spur on that leg was down to a nub. His scales looked rough but not horrible. So I treated him for scaly leg mites with ivermectin two weeks apart at that time. He also had A&D ointment applied a few times.
He is still limping badly and he holds his foot like in the photo. He doesn’t seem to be getting better.
By looking at the photos does anyone have ideas of what could be wrong.
Is the wavy red skin at the top of his leg normal?
I didn’t think the small black dots were bumble foot because they are tiny and not on a bump. But I’m not sure what they are exactly.
His feathers are wet in the pic because he just had a 20 minute epson salt foot soak.
(Even though we live in a rural community, none of our surrounding veterinarians will see chickens so it’s up to me to help him get better.)
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 82F18483-DE62-47D0-A422-39D488878184.jpeg
    82F18483-DE62-47D0-A422-39D488878184.jpeg
    524.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 93740562-FAC1-4096-8C55-A54BC91074A7.jpeg
    93740562-FAC1-4096-8C55-A54BC91074A7.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 29
  • A38A1B0C-C0CB-4EBA-A7B5-3177F6D34516.jpeg
    A38A1B0C-C0CB-4EBA-A7B5-3177F6D34516.jpeg
    494 KB · Views: 31
Welcome To BYC

Can you get a photo of him standing (showing both feet/legs) and of his handsome self too:)

The black dots on the bottom don't look too concerning, but could be causing a little irritation.
The skin on the back toe around his nail is split, there's also a small scab on one of his front toes as well.
I'd give him the soaking as you've done. Dry the foot, apply a very thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment to the scabs, then wrap. Change daily. See if he improves in a few days.

As for the red wavy skin at the top of the leg, for now it looks o.k. but that's something I'd monitor to see if it gets scabby or infected looking.

Welcome To BYC

Can you get a photo of him standing (showing both feet/legs) and of his handsome self too:)

The black dots on the bottom don't look too concerning, but could be causing a little irritation.
The skin on the back toe around his nail is split, there's also a small scab on one of his front toes as well.
I'd give him the soaking as you've done. Dry the foot, apply a very thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment to the scabs, then wrap. Change daily. See if he improves in a few days.

As for the red wavy skin at the top of the leg, for now it looks o.k. but that's something I'd monitor to see if it gets scabby or infected looking.

@Wyorp Rock has addressed the black dots on the bottom of the foot and the back toe, follow her advice.

I'll address the red wavy skin on the upper leg.
Yes, I suspect the beginning of gout. I have a 7 year old Buff Leghorn rooster that has the same red wavy skin on both his upper legs, however it is much worse. It almost looks like scales have been ripped off his upper legs, but scales dont go up that far on the legs.
He limps and holds one leg up just as your rooster does in the video.
His limping has been going on now for 3 years. He eats and drinks normally, crows normally and loves to get into crowing contests with my other roosters. I believe it's an accelerated case of articular gout. I suspect your rooster has articular gout as well.
There are natural remedies you can try to give him to address gout as well as feed changes in his diet, you can look them up online.
I've applied all types of ointments and lotions on the red wavy skin without any change and I've decided to let it go, it is what it is.

My rooster is in his own pen with one big hen and they are inseparable. They have a special lowered coop that they can easily hop or walk into with a lowered roost for roosting at night.
I recommend comfort care as best as you can, your rooster is a good looking boy!

@Wyorp Rock has addressed the black dots on the bottom of the foot and the back toe, follow her advice.

I'll address the red wavy skin on the upper leg.
Yes, I suspect the beginning of gout. I have a 7 year old Buff Leghorn rooster that has the same red wavy skin on both his upper legs, however it is much worse. It almost looks like scales have been ripped off his upper legs, but scales dont go up that far on the legs.
He limps and holds one leg up just as your rooster does in the video.
His limping has been going on now for 3 years. He eats and drinks normally, crows normally and loves to get into crowing contests with my other roosters. I believe it's an accelerated case of articular gout. I suspect your rooster has articular gout as well.
There are natural remedies you can try to give him to address gout as well as feed changes in his diet, you can look them up online.
I've applied all types of ointments and lotions on the red wavy skin without any change and I've decided to let it go, it is what it is.

My rooster is in his own pen with one big hen and they are inseparable. They have a special lowered coop that they can easily hop or walk into with a lowered roost for roosting at night.
I recommend comfort care as best as you can, your rooster is a good looking boy!
Thank you so much.. he is not only beautiful but such a sweetheart. Mild mannered, kind to his ladies and never aggressive to people…
I don’t think I would have figured the gout trouble out. So thankful you took the time to share your knowledge.
I will make the changes you both have suggested.
Fortunately I have a small ‘side coop’ that I can lower and make accessible for him and his 3 ladies.

Back
Top Bottom