1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster's comb and waddle are turning black

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bosschicken, Oct 17, 2013.

1. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Catch him when he is on the roost for the night, can't run in the dark.

2. Bosschicken

Bosschicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2012
    Falkland BC
    Ok, will get hubby to try tonight. Thanks, will lwt you know what we learn.

3. susan83

susan83 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    [​IMG]The tip of my roosters comb is bruised looking and two of my hens have scabby sores on their combs. It did get down to 29 degrees one night but for safe measure I put vasoline on all 7 birds combs, waddles and feet. Two days later theses spots showed up. They don't seem sick or bothered by theses spots. What could it be and what can/should I do?[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your rooster looks like he could have some very mild frostbite, or just circulation problems in his comb (common in large-combed birds during cold weather). The marks on the hen's comb look like pecking wounds, though they could also be the beginning signs of Fowl Pox. If you want, you can put some antibiotic ointment on both birds' combs to help them heal.

5. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Sometimes our OEGB comb will turn blackish on tips, and then go away and be very bright red again, especially when he's excited (ie. eating watermelon, etc.) Does this blackish color come and go, or just stay?

If you do use a antibiotic ointment on his comb, just use one without anything with "caine" added to the ingredients- I've read that they are bad for chickens.

6. susan83

Sep 11, 2013
    It has been that way for a lil over a week now with no change. Good or bad.

7. susan83

Sep 11, 2013
    Is there a way to know for sure about the frost bite? I've read that it could also be heart and/or circulation as you said. And that those are hereditary. I was planning on hatching some eggs next year and I don't want to pass on that gene. So I'd like to be sure either way.

8. 18mbantam

18mbantam New Egg

Nov 25, 2013
    My roosters comb is completely black and shrivled. I don't now what it is.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  10. kgrabowski

kgrabowski New Egg

Jul 24, 2014
    My rooster is doing the same thing. Comb and waddles are turning black. Looks exactly like your photo. I caught him yesterday and put Vitamin A & D ointment on both (vasoline did not seem to help). He is acting fine and eating, but I am worried about him. It has been very cold here in Maryland. Does anyone have any other suggestions other than putting a heat lamp in the coop? Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by