Roosters crowing in the middle of the night!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jashdon, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    Our roosters have started crowing in the middle of the night. Around 2:30 - 3 am. Does anyone else have this problem? Why would they do that?

2. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

They do it because they can. Our roos crow whenever they feel like it. Even in the middle of the night.

Now, we have had the roosters go nuts crowing in the middle of the night for an extended period, and when we shined the spot light up towards the coop, seen a set of glowing eyes peering back.

If it's a new thing, make sure there's no new nocturnal visitors. If there isn't a reason, well, get used to it, LOL. Our roos crow whenever the feel the urge.

Good luck-
    Em

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Mine will do that on nice clear moonlit nights.

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Roos crow for a number of reasons... claiming territory, calling everyone back to the hen house if they free forage, when frightened or startled, and just for fun.

Our roo has crowed around 3 a.m. every night since spring. We thing that is when the deer run through the back pasture. If your roo hears something, he will crow.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by