roosters crowing

robbinsroost

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 3, 2009
Mooresville
lau.gif
My golden comet rooster made his first attempts to crow today!
wee.gif
he sounded like a dying cow! The funniest thing I ever heard. Is it usual that they only try a couple of times before they really get going? He hasn't tried again the rest of the day. The girls were all running around acting like something really weird was happening. He is 3 and a half months old. When will he realize he is a boy? Thanks all!!

lol.png
My rooster at first sounded more like a dying duck! No, I don't think they practice. They just do it EVERY morning and in a couple of weeks he will sound more like a rooster!
yippiechickie.gif
I think he already knows if he's a boy or not already, when he starts crowing thats a sign of dominance, meaning, I'm the BOSS here!
gig.gif

Hope I could help!

Oh, he'll sound better and better with each attempt. Suddenly you'll realize it's a full on crow, not that strangled, dying cow sound any more.

And trust us, he knows he's a boy. He's just a clumsy boy with voice that's changing, right now.

Mine crowed for the first time 2 days ago. He's about 14-15 weeks now.

He did great and I was like a parent who's child just took his first steps!

We were sittin' on the porch having coffee this mornin' when my husband says, "thats a rooster crowin' !"

My reaction
ep.gif

We're supposed to have 28 pullets that are 14 weeks old in the coop, but this one "hen" had a waffle and comb unlike any of the others....and I was suspicious of the difference in the tail feather development.
Reckon thar was cause to be!
gig.gif

So now I need to learn what to do with a rooster and 27 hens
lau.gif

We've been keep out polish inside in the dog kennel because he's getting pecked. He started crowing out of nowhere VERY boisterously last Sunday! Scared the crap out of me.
lol.png

Quote:
Thats EXACTLY why I need to read up on roosters, ya see.

What if he has a heart attack tryin' to service , not 27, I mis-counted, 29 gals!?!
gig.gif

Maybe he needs a buddy.
lau.gif

Thanks for the giggles!

He's going to be a VERY busy boy.

However, if you want fertile eggs it is probably best to get another boy as your rooster may not manage to get around all the hens!

Sandie

Last year I had a bunch of Buff Orpington roosters that started 'crowing'. It was SO weird! Didn't sound like crowing at all. I thought dogs had gotten into my run or something. It was the first time I had that breed so I asked on here if it was a breed thing cuz they all sounded alike. I was told that as they got older their abilities would improve. Well, a couple months ago when I gave them all away, they were STILL sounding like they were dying, and they were 14 MONTHS old.

Back
Top Bottom