Roosters, do I need one or not

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jjdward, May 12, 2009.

1. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    I got my chickens in december and got 5 black sexlink roosters for free. I don't have enough hens for five roosters. I have been told that rooseters eat a lot of feed and dont really do anything. I have a buff orph too and I was thinking of keeping him, but I'm just not sure. [​IMG]

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    You only need a roo, if you want fertile eggs for hatching. Other than that no need for one.

3. Becky_H

Becky_H Chillin' With My Peeps

You don't *have* to have a rooster, no. However, a good one *is* good for something. He's the protector and leader of your flock. He acts as a guardian, will make your hens feel safer, help them stay together and find food, and generally is a hell of an asset -- and a lot cheaper htan a livestock guardian dog.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I totally agree. [​IMG] I free range and my rooster is worth a whole lot more to me than just fertilized eggs. To add to what Becky has said, my rooster is also the peacekeeper. He allows no fighting between the girls.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  5. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    Quote:I'm hoping my pug will fill that role [​IMG]!

6. Becky_H

Becky_H Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I'm hoping my pug will fill that role [​IMG]!

Sadly my pom wants to eat the chickens. A LOT A LOT A LOT. Fortunately the Pyr is in charge and the pom is blind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by