Roosters dying

The rir was 5 years old and had slowed down quit a bit since summer. The white game bird was dropped off at our house in the middle of the night. I was not able to catch him therefor when he finally got into the barn he brought a disease that killed a one year old barred rock rooster and 15meat chicks but no hen, rir and barred rock. I gave everyone an antibiotic and all was fine. The the rir rooster was lame and apon expection his toe was bleeding last week, then died three days later. The white game rooster was hanging his wings and tail but eating pumpkin and feed very well then passed. It was very cold here but they are all in a barn. Weird. It may just be one of those unexplainable things.

The rir was 5 years old and had slowed down quit a bit since summer. The white game bird was dropped off at our house in the middle of the night. I was not able to catch him therefor when he finally got into the barn he brought a disease that killed a one year old barred rock rooster and 15meat chicks but no hen, rir and barred rock. I gave everyone an antibiotic and all was fine. The the rir rooster was lame and apon expection his toe was bleeding last week, then died three days later. The white game rooster was hanging his wings and tail but eating pumpkin and feed very well then passed. It was very cold here but they are all in a barn. Weird. It may just be one of those unexplainable things.

I think you may have answered your own question. Depending on their genetics (/breed) some chickens have a greater immunity to some disease than others. It sounds like the white game rooster brought in something nasty. I'd suggest getting a necropsy done if you lose another bird to see what you are dealing with. Diseases can be serious and can be carried by all your birds depending on what is going on. It might be well worth it depending on your plans for your flock.
Most chicken deaths are not unexplainable; there is always a reason. It may just be hard to find, sometimes.

If feeding the entire flock layer feed, roosters will die at abut 4 times the rate of hens because of things associated with excess dietary calcium.

If feeding the entire flock layer feed, roosters will die at abut 4 times the rate of hens because of things associated with excess dietary calcium.
I know there are studies that show this to be true, but here it my place it doesn't seem to be true. The majority of *my* losses are older hens with repro problems.

-Kathy

Some lines and breeds seem to be more resistant to urolithiasis and gout than others but anecdotal evidence of a few birds doesn't stand up compared to research of thousands of birds in commercial operations.

Some lines and breeds seem to be more resistant to urolithiasis and gout than others but anecdotal evidence of a few birds doesn't stand up compared to research of thousands of birds in commercial operations.

I sure don't have thousands, lol, just hundreds
wink.png
. Mine also get to free range on many acres, so it's not like they're limited to just lay pellets while being kept in cages or overcrowded living conditions.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom