Roosters eye area is swollen white patches

Bronnywee

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 20, 2013
Easton Maryland
These are better pictures of Henry’s eye area- this first picture shows the obvious pock on his eyelid the eye is barely visible behind it
The second picture shows the crusty whitish( look more white in reality than yellow as the picture shows) patches around the eye and earlobe and edge of wattle - I saw no lesions in his mouth, it looked normal , his feet are big and beautiful , I see no lifted scales- I couldn’t find the thread to the person I responded to yesterday, I hope this finds you- we are in Easton Maryland, I hope this is nothing deadly, it’s been going on a couple of months, the pock is about two weeks old. Thanks for your time !
97C30252-5DC4-48C4-A5D0-BBF20A171B27.jpeg
250E90B7-B0B0-4AD0-9C39-24BEF59E0C89.jpeg
7F2C7D4F-A4F0-4122-87F4-569BAA3AFF0E.jpeg

@Bronnywee here is your other thread where @Wyorp Rock was helping you:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/roosters-eyes-swollen.1283598/

The white patches look like favus, a fungal infection while his comb looks very dry. Hard to tell for sure about favus. His right eye appears injured, possibly from pecking. Have you had any fowl pox in your flock this year when mosquitoes were out?

Antifungal creams such as miconazole or clotrimazole can be used on favus, or you can try some coconut oil initially. Is he eating and drinking, or getting around okay? He might not see well out of his right eye, so make sure that he can find the food and water. Plain neosporin ointment or Terramycin ointment may be applied into his eye twice a day to prevent infection.

Thank you so much, we put some terramycin on the sore on his eye, he is eating and drinking normally and stool looks really good, I’ll put some coconut oil on his whole comb and wattle and get some miconizole for the white gunk - Would Bag Balm help the sore? Or the dry comb problem? And no we haved had any fowl pox ever yet! I’ll let you know how is going , Thanks

I would use some rubber gloves to put the cream on. It can be contagious, but it tends to affect chickens who are run down. I have seen it in a hen with just a a few little white dots on her peacomb, and it would come and go, and it did not spread to others.

Back
Top Bottom