Roosters eye scabbed shut?

scooby

Songster
11 Years
Jun 29, 2008
sevier valley,utah
I had a sick rooster that we ended up bringing in the house for a few weeks, anyways he has started walking again and i put him outside problem is our little young rooster has taken over and is being vicious, and attacked him well a lot, we'll i noticed his eye was shut the other day and thought maybe he had knocked it well its been a few now and when i looked at it i relized he had dried blood/scabs and so i can only assume that it scabbed shut. so question is should i open it and how should i do that? the scab is not across the whole lid just in a few little spots.

You can use some warm saline or water in a compress or drip some saline onto the eye. After the saline or compress softens any drainage within a few minutes, you should be able to gently open the eye (separate the lids) with your thumb and forefinger. Terramycin Eye Ointment or Vetericyn Eye Gel from a feed store would be good to use in the eye to help prevent infection.

I slightly rubbed it with a warm water rag yesterday and it did nothing, so i put some neosporin over his eye, i hope that won't hurt it, i thought it might soften it in a few days so it would be able to open. would the saline work better to soften it then water? i can see he still has his eye and it does not look infected no pus or oozing or watering, just scabbed together.

Back
Top Bottom