1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters feathers are strarting to go gray

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coocoochick, Nov 16, 2012.

1. coocoochick

coocoochick New Egg

Apr 26, 2012
    Does anyone know why my chickens feathers are starting to lose their color? I'm thinking it might be his diet, but I don't know what he is missing to fix the problem. I buy country acres feed and chicken scratch along with oyster shells. They stay cooped up except the weekends. What am I missing?

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    dont know.Never had one turn grey unless it was born grey.. lol!

my bared rock hens must have been to the beauty parlor because their feathers are curled like a perm.

[​IMG]

3. coocoochick

coocoochick New Egg

Apr 26, 2012
    Its the oddest thing. They are starting to turn gray near the roots and its a hit or miss. Not all of his feathers are doing it. I did forget to say that I've had him sine he hatched last spring.

I know why yours have curled. Somewhere in there family tree is a frizzle. When a bird mates with a frizzle it stays in the blood line and can be passed from generation to generation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by