roosters feet are swollen

jben87

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 28, 2013
My two roostgers feet are swollen and I have no idea why. There is no sign of bumble foot. We have been in single digits temps for five days. On the second day of the cold snap I noticed their feet were stiff and cold so I briught them into the house to warm up before they got frostbite. The next morning I noticed they had blisters on their feet that wernt there before. I putt blue kote on their feet and now their right foot are swollen and they keep that leg lifted. They will walk on them but when they aren standing still they raise their. The skin is peeling where the blisters were. They eat and drink fine.

Please help I have no idea what to do. I'm worried about infection. We have no vets that do birds around me either.

I'm pretty sure that it's frostbite. Put some more of their bedding down so they don't get even colder feet. You should also rub vaseline on their feet because it protects against frostbite. Good luck!

My two roostgers feet are swollen and I have no idea why. There is no sign of bumble foot. We have been in single digits temps for five days. On the second day of the cold snap I noticed their feet were stiff and cold so I briught them into the house to warm up before they got frostbite. The next morning I noticed they had blisters on their feet that wernt there before. I putt blue kote on their feet and now their right foot are swollen and they keep that leg lifted. They will walk on them but when they aren standing still they raise their. The skin is peeling where the blisters were. They eat and drink fine.

Please help I have no idea what to do. I'm worried about infection. We have no vets that do birds around me either.
How old are they, and are you are feeding them Layer Feed?

ETA - If there on Layer Feed how long have they been on it and what is the brand and protein amount?

Chris

Last edited:
Pictures would be helpful if you can get some.

If it's frostbite, make sure your coop has good ventilation so that moisture cannot build up. Are their combs damaged at all? That's usually what gets frost-bitten. In really cold weather my chickens usually stand on one foot and tuck the other into their down--alternating feet to keep warm.

They have been in the house ever since I took them out. They have not been in the cold any more that is why I don't know what to do or why their right feet are swollen I undertand the skin peeling because it dead skin from the blisters. Help

I could be wrong but I don't think it is frostbite, if it was then you would be seeing the skin turning black.

ETA - If there on Layer Feed how long have they been on it and what is the brand and protein amount?

Chris

I could be wrong but I don't think it is frostbite, if it was then you would be seeing the skin turning black.

Chris
Chris,

Are you thinking gout?

I'm having the exact same symptoms in a bird who jumped into my duck's water bucket, and her feet froze stiff. I brought her in, warmed her up and her feet started to swell. I've lanced the blisters, and this provided her with some relief. She is eating, pooping and drinking no problem. Her feet are bothering her of course though.

Any tips are appreciated. It's not bumble foot, as it's visible from the top of her feet and looks like obvious blisters.

They are six to seven months. They are eating egg layers crumble mixed with cracked corn. They are drinking medicated water. Ill post some pictures of what their feet look like when the coloring of the Blue Kite wears off because all u can see is purpleright now. I have picture of what the blisters when they had them. The blisters are gone now.I do not see any black spots yet. Will the swelling go down

-would switch to flock raiser for the roos. (Layer feed has too much calcium for roos.)

-not certain what is going on with the feet. -hope it heals, though.

Chris,

Are you thinking gout?

I'm having the exact same symptoms in a bird who jumped into my duck's water bucket, and her feet froze stiff. I brought her in, warmed her up and her feet started to swell. I've lanced the blisters, and this provided her with some relief. She is eating, pooping and drinking no problem. Her feet are bothering her of course though.

Any tips are appreciated. It's not bumble foot, as it's visible from the top of her feet and looks like obvious blisters.
Yes, I'm thinking that the op's birds may have gout.

Is the feet of your birds black anywhere? If so spray there feet with Tinactin and then coat them with Organic Coconut Oil.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom