Roosters fighting !! Help !!

tobytobes

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 3, 2010
I have 2 roosters. One is a Dark Cornish and the other is a Bantam. They have been co-existing peacefully for over a year. They have an occassional scuffle but nothing serious. Today the Bantam has been picking fights with the Cornish and the Cornish, who outweighs the little Bantam by probably 10 to 1, has been running away from the Bantam and cowering in the corner !! He's huge and the Bantam is kicking his butt !! I had to rescue him a couple of times today. The Bantam was at one point standing on the Cornishs back and pecking him in the head while he cowered in the corner! Is there anything I can do or should I just let them ride it out. I feel sorry for the big oaf ! He's kinda big and dopey and I hate to see him getting his butt kicked. The Bantam is the friendliest little rooster ever! You can pick him up and carry him around and he's happy for the attention. Any advice would be appreciated !

Thanks,
Kim

I had to separate two of my boys, they were trying to kill each other. They do fine together as long as there are no girls involved so they now have their own bachelor pad. Hope someone has some suggestions for you.

I do have a 6 hens too. They have all been co-existing for over a year. The Bantam has all of a sudden become very combative. I have been meaning to get a couple of bantam hens for the little rooster since the other hens are all standard and he can't exactly "perform" very well with them although he does try like hell !

Well help certainly didn't come my way and I found my big Dark Cornish Rooster laying dead in the grass with the Bantam Rooster standing over him and pecking his head. It is unlikely that the Bantam could have physically killed him. He's much too small to inflict a fatal injury and there weren't any wounds on him other than some blood on his comb from being pecked. What I suspect happened is that he was stressed from being chased and had a heart attack or something like that. My heart is broken. I feel like I should have protected him. It was crazy to think that this huge rooster was intimidated by that little bantam. I really never thought that he could kill him in any way. Is it possible that he had a heart attack or some sort of cardiac arrest from being chased??

Kim

Stress kills - true for man or beast. The only solution might have been separation as was suggested, but then the large rooster would have faced stress of a different sort. It is very possible that he died of a heart attack.

Back
Top Bottom