Roosters fighting

Whitechicks2020

Chirping
Jul 16, 2020
Hello I have two roosters that were hatched together and raised together they are silkie/duncle mix and they have had an occasional spat but this last evening they were at each other so hard I could barely get them apart! They are separated and the smallest most injured I have inside healing at the moment he was bleeding pretty good my question is should I try to reintroduce him or is there no hope we don’t have but 6 hens and they are all the same age 8 months old? Also if we decide to keep him and just separate him would he be ok alone?

I believe the recommended rooster to hen ratio is 1:10 give or take a couple hens.
Is there anyway to split your flock to have 3 hens with each rooster?
Having an isolated life isn’t very healthy for chickens.

If I split them then I worry about them getting cold because some of them are pretty small but that’s a good thought!

Sounds like not enough hens for two roosters. They are just gonna keep fighting. Chickens are social animals and don't do well alone. Hope they end up OK.

we hatched them so didn’t know what we were getting and not all of them hatched but your definitely right I think he would be sad alone he’a very lovable

Sometimes cockerels and roosters raised together get along and sometimes they don't. If they can't decide on who's the leader, and who isn't, you will need to keep them separate. One spat, with minimal injuries, as a pecked comb, might be not so bad, but a sustained fight is another story.
Either two separate flocks, or rehome one of them.
Mary

I believe the recommended rooster to hen ratio is 1:10 give or take a couple hens.
The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.

It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.

Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.

It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.

Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

They don't call it cock fighting for nothing. Being as you split them up, and they did not quit fighting, I would expect them to fight again... and again.

This much tension is hard on your hens too.

Roosters really do not get the idea that these are your hens, and these are mine. One rooster is more than enough for that size flock, I would not want a second rooster for less than 20 girls, not because of the 1:10 rule, but because of space. If you have the space for 20-30 hens, you tend to have the space for 2 roosters.

I vote, dispatch one of the roosters.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom