Roosters fighting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mechey, Jan 19, 2011.

1. mechey

mechey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Tifton
    After several hatchings, I have acquired 14 beautiful Silverduckwing roosters, which I keep seperated from my hens. They are beautiful andI don't want to give them away. They have begun to fight tho. They don't have spurs yet, but soon will. Is there anything I can do to prevent them from fighting, short of putting them all in seperate pens, which won't be any fun.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If these are standard games, they are genetically programmed to fight. If bantams this instinct is not so strong, but it is there. Once roosters start fighting it rarely resolves unless they are free ranging or have enough room to avoid one another. I wish that I could be more optimistic in this situation.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

mechey, I can only tell you what I have done for years. Whether you have the resources or not will determine if you can do it too. If you have a mature cock, he can police the youngsters. The idea is if anyone is gonna whip butt, it will be the mature cock. This will keep them in one piece until they are from 8-10 months old, in most cases. You will need a large pen with plenty of room. Good luck........Pop

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Roosters can do considerable damage to each other, and it's not a pretty sight when they do. Sometimes, with some roos, they'll just posture & pose & make threats until one or the other turns tail. But there are times when they'll just beat the giblets out of each other. They tear & bloody combs & wattles, remove feathers from heads, injure eyes, & more. A handsome roo can look like raw ground chicken. It's up to you & the resources you have to decide how many to keep & how to keep them.

Why do you keep them separated from the hens?

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm guessing she is keeping them seperated from the hens because 14 horny young cockerels in a flock would wreak havoc.[​IMG]

6. mechey

mechey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Tifton
    I keep them separated because it seems as tho they don't fight as much, and the few times I let them all out together, the hens had to run for their life. They are Silverduckwing ole english bantams. When out in the yard, they always stay together in a group, and are just beautiful running around from place to place. I have taken beautiful photographs of 2 roosters up in the air, feathers ruffled and feet extended, course right now they have no spurs and can't do damage. I would never let them hurt each other. If I knew how I post a picture of them. Thanks to all who responded.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by