Rooster's First Aggression

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by itgns, Jan 26, 2014.

1. itgns

itgns Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    Central California
    [​IMG] He just started trying to crow and it's so cute, it's like he's going through puberty and his voice cracks. Well, today I got my first taste of his hormones when I picked up one of the hens. I've picked them up before without any trouble, but I think he took exception to me carrying her away from him. I was simply leading them back to their run. They follow me everywhere. I just wanted to hold one of them while I did it and she didn't put up a fuss. I thought I felt one of them run in to me. I looked down just in time to catch him straight up like, bite me on the leg. My first reaction was instinct, to kick him in self defense, and then to less forcefully push-kick him away even further. I waited for a moment to see if he'd try to come at me again, but he turned away. I walked another ten feet before putting his girl back down.

And some of my friends and family scoffed when I suggested that the rooster would protect his babes. I'm going to keep an eye on his behavior for now, though. I would hate to have to get rid of him. I did warn my parents about picking up the ladies now, though.

[​IMG]

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    Pick up your rooster, hold him carry him around. If he charges you get a hold of him, hold him until he stops squirming. This made my speckled sussex rooster stop kicking me from behind when I would walk away. He is a good boy now! He learned he did not like to be held and carried around. So he now steps out of my way And no longer wacks the back of my legs! Is yours a Dominique? It would be nice for you to keep him.

3. itgns

itgns Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    Central California
    He is! I picked him because what I read up on the breed was that they were known to kill feral cats and we have a lot of those around here.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that next time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by