Roosters for meat

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by dustponds10, Jul 30, 2010.

1. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Well i have raised some chicks from babies and I am now only wanting to keep the hens for eggs. I dont really want a rooster with my layers because I have a program that I am starting and I dont have the space. so if someone could please tell me when is the best time to butcher a rooster so that teh meet isnt way tough that would be way awesome. Thanks in advance. Dustin

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I usually do mine around or before six months old. I have done them as small as six weeks if they really cause trouble. Ate it too! [​IMG] It was very tender and cooked up GOOD with some rice! I have three CBM cockrels about the same size right now, and I keep telling myself, "Wait... not yet!" lol. They are small, smaller than cornish game hens but my mouth is already watering. I also have three much larger barred olive egger roos growing out, around five months old, and they are on borrowed time. Not crowing yet, or they'd be gone. Hope that helps.

3. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Check the manna pro site. In the Q&A section thry give best times for all poultry.

4. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I did a 15 week old roo in this week and he was delicious. I think it depends on the breed etc, but they won't be the size/texture of meat bred chickens - not as big, not as much meat, but I think a superior flavor. Makes a gorgeous broth too. [​IMG]

5. TanithT

TanithT Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I never met a rooster I didn't like, and I've met some old, tough fellows as well as some wee ones. It's a matter of how you cook the meat you have. The li'l wee youngsters are good fried or pan-seared, the older ones need slow covered roasting to reach their best potential, and the really ornery tough old buggers are absolutely fantastic in a soup stock. Both flavor and toughness increases with age. For stock roosters, pull the meat when it's tender but still has a little texture and chop it for chicken salad, returning the bones to the stock.

I don't currently keep chickens, but I do butcher quite a lot of other people's unwanted roos, and I'm not atall choosy about what age they are when I get them. No matter what age they are, a farm raised bird will be fabulous after the right cooking. I would rather eat a 5 year old farm raised rooster than a store bought young fryer, because I can make the most amazingly flavored soup and sauce from that carcass.

Since I don't keep them I'm not the one being bugged by their noise, which is why I end up with a lot of the dumped birds I do. Young roos that have been sent off to my freezer camp because they just started crowing, fighting, bothering hens or otherwise misbehaving are beautifully tender and always welcome, though they lack the more robust flavor of the older animals. They make up for it in tenderness.

If you can put up with them long enough for them to fill out some, you'll have a better meal. Maybe pen them separately and feed them a lot more for a few weeks?

6. ChickenPotPie

ChickenPotPie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    California
    Quote:I agree. I do my dual purpose cockerels between 5 - 6 months old. Earlier if they start to cause trouble. We had a wee turkey poult break it's leg so I processed it. I figured if people will eat quail, why not a bigger bird? I skinned it (no plucking - yay!) so it was uber easy. The same day I processed a year old rooster someone gave me for our table and Oi! he was really difficult to skin. Took me forever and by the time I was done, I had my husband holing a flashlight for me as I finished it up in the dark. [​IMG] The roo was wonderful slow cooked in the crockpot, though.

As a general cooking rule - young birds are fried or roasted. Older birds go in the slow cooker/crock pot. I hear that older birds have fuller flavor, younger birds are more mild. When you process your birds depends on what your tastes are and how you prefer to cook them.

7. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Ok so I got them I think in early may and they are all just starting to try to crow, some are really getting good at crowing and one or 2 inparticular are really tearing the feathers out of some of the hens. SO I think when I ahve a few days free I will butcher them. how is the best way to put them in a freezer? Vac pack or is there another way?

Thanks for all your help so far.

8. clothdiaperingmom

clothdiaperingmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    Sweetwater, TX
    Im glad for this thread. I have some that are 4 months old and they are going to be harvested this Sunday. I was worried they were too old!!

9. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    I just did a 17 week partridge rock roo. He was starting to get nasty. I knew he wasn't going to stay much past the 6 month mark, but this just hasten his demise.

He dressed out at 2.5 pounds and is sitting/aging in the refrig. Plan to have him this upcoming week.

10. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    should i butchar all rosters at once? i have 9 and i really needto get rid of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by