Roosters for meat

OMG, my 15 yr old daughter helped my husbands friend on our 1st ever batch of dual purpose. They got through 7 with 5 still left to go. My daughter skinned them, though thinking it might be easier to pluck and thinking about building the whiz bang plucker.
I was able to help once she had the feathers and legs off. I was handing over chickens so they didnt get the girl out of the bunch. It was after everything that I got queasy and have been ever since.
My thoughts, it was horrible!! My daughters thoughts..it wasnt bad at all.

That made me want to sell my 3 new brinsea incubators, get rid of most of my chicken except a few layers, no more hatching, etc.... Maybe it will be easier next time??

Quote:
I don't have any experience with chickens (yet
smile.png
), but I've processed game. Everything is a little difficult the first time, even fish (my first experience). It definitely gets easier! Don't give up yet - hang in there, you'll be doing it like it was second nature before you know it
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I would. It's easier to make a day of it than do it one at a time. Let prep, less clean up.

When I do multiple animals, I make sure that they cannot see what's happening to the animal I'm working with. It's more kind and less stressful for the animals. Usually that just means I put the carrier I've got them in on the other side of the wall of where I'm butchering but covering up the carrier with a cloth would work fine, too.

Last edited:
Quote:
smile.png
), but I've processed game. Everything is a little difficult the first time, even fish (my first experience). It definitely gets easier! Don't give up yet - hang in there, you'll be doing it like it was second nature before you know it
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Onthespot-the way Im feeling right now, Id almost let ya!! LOL

Quote:
smile.png
thumbsup.gif

If you've grown up not experiencing the "whole" circle of life of taking a living animal, killing it, processing it and then eating it, it is mighty, mighty daunting. I think the younger you are, the easier it is to handle - that brain wiring isn't solid yet, and it's almost easier to accept as a youngster than an adult.

For instance, I've hunted since I was 16, first with the boyfriend of the time, and later, on my own. I'm a very avid hunter. My parents do NOT hunt. If I shot a deer, they would allow me to hang it up in the barn to process, but I would have to have it finished and packed before they would go in there. They would get queasy when I'd bring the quarters(whole hind legs and front legs) in the house to bone out and cut up. For me, meh, no biggie. Years and years later, it's still the same.

I'll bet your DD will always be more stoic and comfortable processing...where you have to retrain years and years of not wanting to kill things you've raised. You can do it, even if it means saying a little prayer to each animal, crying a few tears each time to get some of the stress out, even getting sick (I know some manly-men deer hunters who throw up every single time they shoot a deer). It's ok, and if anyone makes fun of you, sucker punch them.
smile.png

Someone on here wrote something along the lines of there are people who are cut out for killing and the dirty work, and there are people who are cut out for the clean up and cooking part. You might just be a clean up and cooking person - which is definately needed!

Quote:
smile.png
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Onthespot-the way Im feeling right now, Id almost let ya!! LOL

I have the problem with the killing cut and still have not been able to. But I can do everything else once they are dead,even pull them out of the killing cone. I guess its part of raising chickens. If they were to sick and suffering, would you do it then?

Quote:
smile.png
thumbsup.gif

If you've grown up not experiencing the "whole" circle of life of taking a living animal, killing it, processing it and then eating it, it is mighty, mighty daunting. I think the younger you are, the easier it is to handle - that brain wiring isn't solid yet, and it's almost easier to accept as a youngster than an adult.

For instance, I've hunted since I was 16, first with the boyfriend of the time, and later, on my own. I'm a very avid hunter. My parents do NOT hunt. If I shot a deer, they would allow me to hang it up in the barn to process, but I would have to have it finished and packed before they would go in there. They would get queasy when I'd bring the quarters(whole hind legs and front legs) in the house to bone out and cut up. For me, meh, no biggie. Years and years later, it's still the same.

I'll bet your DD will always be more stoic and comfortable processing...where you have to retrain years and years of not wanting to kill things you've raised. You can do it, even if it means saying a little prayer to each animal, crying a few tears each time to get some of the stress out, even getting sick (I know some manly-men deer hunters who throw up every single time they shoot a deer). It's ok, and if anyone makes fun of you, sucker punch them.
smile.png

Someone on here wrote something along the lines of there are people who are cut out for killing and the dirty work, and there are people who are cut out for the clean up and cooking part. You might just be a clean up and cooking person - which is definately needed!

Very true. No one in my family hunts and I grew up eating only pork, beef, or chicken. Mostly from the store. One yr my dad and his friend got 2 calves. They stayed on the friends land. The entire year after butchering, I ate no meat anywhere.

I felt like a bad mom to let dd help in the killing (she wanted to though), when I couldnt even see them till no feathers/legs.
And now Im wondering, to prevent this problem with my kids, if I should let the 9 and 5 yr olds in on the processing. I did show a gizzard to my 5 yr old, and we cut it open and looked at what was inside. Of course she asked where I got it, so I told her. I dont think the 9 yr old would take it so well.

At the moment Im making chicken stock. If I really think about where the necks and stuff that were in the fridge came from, makes me queasy again. But I WILL NOT waste the stuff. I dont want my chickens to have died in vain.

I still have not eaten A THING since the harvesting....
sickbyc.gif

Again, thank you all for the encouraging words.
OP, didnt mean to hijack!!! Sorry

Last edited:
I would explain to the youngsters what is going to happen, and ask them if they wish to watch. If they do, let them, but let them have the option of leaving if they want. If they decide they want to help, let them have a safe job (plucking?). Let the choice be up to them if they want to watch or participate, and make sure they know it's very much OK to choose to leave any time they wish.

I'd also make sure they know to respect the animal, alive and deceased, and to know they should be thankful for the food it's giving - no horseplay!

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom