roosters ganging up on hens

hi-
poor girls!!
i cant stand the mean (the rapers!) roosters, i just seperated mine last night. im in upstate ny too and im enclosing a run for the boys.
i may need several single bachelor pads
gig.gif

i have a cc legbar, 2 silver p wyandottes. (only one is mature to mate, but they stick together like brothers!) and a fairly newly mature to mate
MONSTER buff orp. he is only about 8 mos old and runs crazy at the girls.head down wings out sprinting - they all scream and were getting hurt.

cc legbar is very gentle with the hens, they never even peep. he stays with the girls.
big_smile.png

there are more than 2 dozen girls and the buff took them all repeatedly-nasty.
somad.gif

get rid of yours.
Most roosters calm down somewhat as they mature and if there is no competition for mating. Roosters gang breeding hens can cause serious injuries to the sides of your hens. One remaining would be the magic number.
i sure hope he does settle down- in your opinion sourland, do roosters generally do alright together or do they tend to fight?
that was the thing I found one of the hens hiding in the building where there pen is. Obviously we keep them separate at night. We have green house they live in attached to my husbands shop. She was holding her wings out. She was so upset she popped out her egg when I put her in her pen. I am thinking to cut it down to 2 roosters initially. Fortunately I have Amish neighbors, hoping maybe I can trade for some squash...
the greenhouse sounds really nice for them!
tammy

true enough. We had them separate mostly because they were "new", we got them this year as two wk old chicks.So it was more they were babies.

they are or were really spoiled happy hens. Its going to be rainy tomorrow so I will let them rest and just get out in the straw on the green house floor. We own enough property that I can carry the hens out to the garden and our mini orchard. The guys stay close to their food and roost.We almost have the coop done, it will be just for the two roosters ...maybe 3 that get to go though the winter. It was all fine until the roosters decided to fly their pen about a week ago. Thanks for the support. I kept hoping against hope there was one hen in the bunch but not this time. They hatch eggs in 6th grade science to teach...ummmmm...reproduction. Thankfully I have at least 4 yrs til I get to take home thier experiments again.

yes the new chicken building is almost done...seems like kind of a waste now, oh well.We are close to Lake erie so it won't be long now.

Back
Top Bottom