Roosters in Pullet Orders from Ideal

BlueFoxSpringer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 2, 2009
I'm going to order 26 Buff Orpington pullets from ideal, and I'm wondering if I might get a roo or two in there? I'm wanting a rooster, but I don't want to buy them seperately if I might get one with the pullets. Is it common to get any roosters in their pullet orders? Thanks, everyone!

Very. Sexing is only about 90% accurate. Bet you get more roos than you want! They will probably throw a few extras in, to cover losses, and the extras are likely to be male as well. All my chickens came from Ideal. Pretty nice Orps.

Last edited by a moderator:
90% of 26 is 23.4 so that will get rounded down. Expect to get 3 roos anyway. If they are not feeling good about the sexing ratio that day they may through a couple extra in to help make sure they get you 23 pullets and don't need to deal with a claim.

I have made a few orders from Ideal in one order 4 out of 11 EEs were roosters, in another 2 out of 12, and in the 3rd all were hens, and in the fourth they all died before they were 2 weeks old! I haven't ordered from them since, now I order from MyPetChicken.com if you buy 25 then the shipping is less because they can send Priority instead of Express.

Your odds may quite well vary, even with an order of 5 birds I've gotten one cockerel. I've seen a LOT of people get one or two cockerels from a small order.

I ordered 23 pullets from Ideal in October and got 23 pullets. I was glad that I ordered 2 roosters as well.

I kind of want to intentionally do a small order and see what kind of "packing Peanuts" they add in the name of "males for warmth"!

Seriously chicken addicted here, I have another order on the way from Ideal to arrive on December 2rd. I ordered the 25 pullet surprise special, couldn't leave it alone, so I added 2 Ameracauna pullets, then wrote back again and added 5 Barred rock pullets. I hope all 32 end up being pullets. I will post back to this thread after I find out...

I have had 2 orders from Ideal.

First order was for 35 pullets. 2 turned out to be roosters - Dominique and 1 white Cochin. Gave the Dominique away to someone that bought Dominique hens from me and kept the Cochin. No packing peanuts.

2nd order was for 10 Cochin pullets and they were all pullets. I did receive 7 packing peanuts with the 2nd order. All were EEs - 6 roosters and 1 pullet. I gave away the roosters.

Back
Top Bottom