roosters in the nest box

samas

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 7, 2013
johannesburg ,South Africa
hi is it normal to find roosters in a nest box,last night i walked into the coop and found my two roosters and 3 hens in a 1square foot nest box it wasnt cold but my roosters are kinda like enjoying the nest box more than my hens.

I had two cochin roosters and the minute they seen one another they went crazy i thought it would stop if i separated them,so i put the new one in a cage in the coop the next day there was blood all over from them fighting through the cage so i took one back to the pet store,and got two hens they was still young when i got them so i put then in the back room until they got abit bigger then i got my other rooster spots,his some mix breed but was the same size as the two hens i got and he is getting big but unlike the other rooster spots and rango gets along well and they will eat and lay together, why dont they fight like rango fought with the other rooster

Aww what a beauty! I dont know why they dont fight, some do and some are more placid. I had two roo's who were brothers and grew up together and started fighting when they came of age. One had to be rehomed. Some cockerels live in harmony together though.. sounds like you're lucky! x

i hope so rango and spots never have any problems but i think spots is still young i got him in december and he was fully feathered but could fit in my palm i got him and pudding together pudding doubled her size and his 4 times bigger almost as big as rango.i really dont know anything about how they grow or how to tel there age so im clueless,do u perhaps know or can tel how old he is

I dont know how old he is, is he crowing yet? If he is crowing then he has to be about 4 or 5 months old I expect. Chickens are fully feathered by about a month old. Also if he is a bantam breed (a breed that is small) then he wont be as big as the other chickens. I have a roo that is a bantam and the hens are bigger than him, but he still manages to mate with them.

no he makes no noise yet, rango is the only noise maker, i dont think his a bantam because i weigh them on a scale every now and again and he picks up weight the fastest when i put him with my white cochin hens he was half there size now is taller

do u know what breed he might be or what he is crossed with he has feather legs and a rose comb ive started treating him for scaly leg and the feathers are starting to come out

Back
Top Bottom