Roosters Losing Feathers?

Michellep224

Songster
Jul 1, 2018
Virginia
Hello!
I have two young Bantam roosters. They were both beautiful, with long flowing green tails.
Recently they started dropping all of their feathers, mostly tail feathers. One of my roosters has no tail!
Is this normal? Are they just molting? They'll grow back, and their is no cause for alarm?

This is what they used to look like:
20180710_085547.jpg

They were given to me in April. I believe the hens were pullets then, but they already all had mature feathers.
I honestly can't tell you how old they are, but I know they're pretty young. :\
I sorry for lack of info!

Attachments

• 20180801_143308.jpg
    20180801_143308.jpg
    559 KB · Views: 3
Look at the skin around his tail, under wings, around head & neck, see if there are any pin feathers coming in, that would indicate a molt. See pin feathers below.
2014-02-17-10.jpg

Usually molt happens head to tail, but exceptions happen. And if it's a really soft molt you might not notice other losses, the tail feathers are pretty obvious. It's always a good idea to check for lice/mites with any feather loss, just to be safe. From the size of his spurs I'd say he's at least a year old.

If they were mature or nearly so in April, it could be molt. Most birds don't get their first complete molt till the second autumn but if I hatch very early in the year, they'll molt that autumn. We're after summer solstice so traits related to declining day length are about to commence.

Back
Top Bottom