Roosters mounting rooster?

snywalker

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
I recently got 7 roosters from someone who was getting rid of the extras. One of the roosters keeps getting mounted. I know that roosters can do this to show dominance, but it is the sweetest one. It does spend a lot of time laying down and doesn't act like the other boys, but it doesn't look like a hen. They are about 4-5 months old and are hatch mates.

I sat out with them for an hour today and it was mounted by 2 different roosters, and they will all stand over top of this one while it lays in the grass. It looks like they are guarding it.

Any suggestions?

I recently got 7 roosters from someone who was getting rid of the extras. One of the roosters keeps getting mounted. I know that roosters can do this to show dominance, but it is the sweetest one. It does spend a lot of time laying down and doesn't act like the other boys, but it doesn't look like a hen. They are about 4-5 months old and are hatch mates.

I sat out with them for an hour today and it was mounted by 2 different roosters, and they will all stand over top of this one while it lays in the grass. It looks like they are guarding it.

Any suggestions?

i believe that they are showing dominance and they do that to show there dominance he is at the bottom of the pecking order that is they do that

i believe that they are showing dominance and they do that to show there dominance he is at the bottom of the pecking order that is they do that

So should I separate him. He is so nice that I hate seeing him getting picked on. He is the only one who let's my son hold him.

Are they aggressive to the point you think he's being hurt? The actual mounting shouldn't really bother him (I think). Is he lethargic? I would worry about a chicken laying around so much.

They are not really aggressive. It just seems excessive and he's starting to have feather damage.

He doesn't seem lethargic. I was worried about that too. But while he is laying down, he pecks at the grass. And when he does walk, his walk seems fine, but not as upright as his brothers. He is alert and not sleepy. He runs away from them after each attack. But then lays down again and then someone else will come over.

They are not really aggressive. It just seems excessive and he's starting to have feather damage.

He doesn't seem lethargic. I was worried about that too. But while he is laying down, he pecks at the grass. And when he does walk, his walk seems fine, but not as upright as his brothers. He is alert and not sleepy. He runs away from them after each attack. But then lays down again and then someone else will come over.

Poor guy :(. Are they in bachelor coop type set up? If you have a coop with hens he may do better in a more mellow setting.

Back
Top Bottom