Roosters Odd Behavior or is he Sick

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buster2nz, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Buster2nz

Buster2nz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2010
    New Zealand
    I have a 21 week old Golden Campine Rooster called Le Roy, he is the father of the flock. I have 16 other Roosters free ranging with him & 23 girls, i lock them all up at night. Yesterday i found him in one of the laying box's gathering in a false egg, i came back later and he had fallen asleep in the box with the egg under him. He spent all of last night in the box, and today he has stayed in a laying box all day, and had another nana nap as well:[​IMG]

I desturbed him gathering the eggs, so he just got up and moved over to another laying box. Tonight when i went and locked them in, he is cuddled up in a laying box with a hen that has a false egg and a 3 day old chick under her.[​IMG]

Le Roy was a magnificent Rooster last year in his prime, but once he went into the molt he looked terrible and even after getting his new feathers he really hasn't come back into the same prime condition, he looks OLD, studying him, its hard to explain specifically what is different about him other than he looks old. I haven't seen him jumping any of the girls, i did see him drop his wing to one about a month ago but that was all. He has always been a gentle Rooster, never aggressive. His first two son's turned out to be the Mafia and i have had to shut them away from the flock. The rest of the roosters have their little show's they put on to each other, but thats all it is, it comes to nothing and i wouldn't say there was tension in the flock.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before in a Rooster, or is he sickening for something?

If he was a hen i would say he was broody:[​IMG]

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Our little roo used to go sit in the nestbox, too, and he was only a year old. We had to give him away after a neighbor's complaint, and we still miss him.

It's not uncommon for roosters to do that, I learned, and that it's a sign of a good rooster. But our roo didn't stay in the box all day! That would worry me, because he's not eating if he's sitting in the box asleep.

3. Buster2nz

Buster2nz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2010
    New Zealand
    Thanks Elmo, i haven't seen him get down to feed each time i have gone to top up the feeder or collect eggs. So if he's still there this morning i will give him food in the box and see if he will eat it. Its as if he's on a mission, got to sit on this egg, but having said that, when i have disturbed him and he's gone to another box it didn't have a false egg in it and that didn't bother him, he just settled down..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by