Roosters Pros and Cons

You need to be very careful because some do kill the little roosters, because its competition. Rooster take good care of there own. I have 12 7 week hens and I have 3 hens that is 4 weeks with a small rooster 4 weeks old, and the big ones don't like the little ones. The little rooster sticks up for his small hens. He looks so cute All puffed up trying to be a rooster but a big rooster would of kill him

You need to be very careful because some do kill the little roosters, because its competition. Rooster take good care of there own. I have 12  7 week hens  and I have 3 hens that is 4 weeks with a small rooster 4 weeks old, and the big ones don't like the little ones. The little rooster sticks up for his small hens. He looks so cute All puffed up trying to be a rooster but a big rooster would of killed him.

So your saying put them in seperate pens?

I have a problem! We have had one Dark Brahma rooster for about 3 years and he got sick and couldn't walk and we thought he was going to die. But he didnt. He is perfectly fine now. So when we thought he was soon going to pass we ordered chicks. We included a rooster in te batch but we think it died when it was a baby. But they always put in an 'exotic chick'. It always is a roo. So we have 2 roosters now. The young one is still in the brooder as of now. They will be going into the flock in about 3 weeks. Will my larger rooster kill the young one? Whag should I do?

Are your chicks in a run along side but separated from the main flock?

I am editing this because I just re-read your comment... When chicks leave the brooder they don't immediately ever go right into the flock, you really need to set up a safe zone until the chicks are a bit older and the adults get used to them being a part of their everyday life... We built a small coop and run next to the main coop, it is separated by chicken wire, that way babies and adults can meet and greet but babies cannot get hurt.. They really shouldnt be with the flock til they are 2.5 or 3 months old and only after the flock gets to know them through the wire.

I have had roosters for the last year, I have hatched out in the incubator 19 chicks, 7 of which were roosters, I put them in their own run (all the chicks) and when they were almost 3 months old I started letting them free range with the adults, a few weeks later we closed up the chick run and forced them into the main coop...No issues at all..

If there are going to be issues it will be when the young cockerels try to mate with the hens.. Big roo wont put up with that, We try and cull or give away any of our young cockerels the moment we see that they are becoming sexually mature, that is unless we are keeping them :)

Last edited:
Are your chicks in a run along side but separated from the main flock?

I am editing this because I just re-read your comment... When chicks leave the brooder they don't immediately ever go right into the flock, you really need to set up a safe zone until the chicks are a bit older and the adults get used to them being a part of their everyday life... We built a small coop and run next to the main coop, it is separated by chicken wire, that way babies and adults can meet and greet but babies cannot get hurt.. They really shouldnt be with the flock til they are 2.5 or 3 months old and only after the flock gets to know them through the wire.

I have had roosters for the last year, I have hatched out in the incubator 19 chicks, 7 of which were roosters, I put them in their own run (all the chicks) and when they were almost 3 months old I started letting them free range with the adults, a few weeks later we closed up the chick run and forced them into the main coop...No issues at all..

If there are going to be issues it will be when the young cockerels try to mate with the hens.. Big roo wont put up with that, We try and cull or give away any of our young cockerels the moment we see that they are becoming sexually mature, that is unless we are keeping them :)

They have a pen next to the flock. They can meet and greet

I do
Why rooster do you think would be best for my flock?

I have 15 hens/pullets. Most are bantam and several polish.
I want a friendly rooster
Protective over his hens and treats them well
Medium sized.
Chance on a certain breed being less vocal?
A unique breed
Cold hardy

Why do you all think?[/quot
I don't see how this was funny.

Back
Top Bottom