Roosters targeting a single hen

If the roosters are still under a year, I'd worry about the day they decide they hate each other. For mine, that day came when they were about 10 months. They'd been breeding a while, so I thought they were mature, had sorted out their pecking order, and I had 2 roosters who got a long. Not.

I had to separate them, which meant one lived in a hastily converted shed for the couple weeks it took to rehome him.

Are they attacking the hen, or overbreeding her? Mine seems to have a flavor of the month, who ends up with bare shoulders. Chicken saddle? :p

Yeah that is definitely something I'll need to keep an eye out for if they start hating each other... They're about 6 months old now, so I guess I'll maybe have that coming in the coming months lol. Fingers crossed that they don't do that :x or hopefully they'll be too distracted with 30 hens to hate each other. But sounds like I might have _another_ problem to deal with in the future :) Thanks for the heads up.

As far as the targeted hen, it seems like a combination of breeding/attacking. Surprisingly her feathers really aren't in too bad of condition, so that makes me think it's moreso breeding. She's a quick girl, so they don't always catch her haha.

Yeah that is definitely something I'll need to keep an eye out for if they start hating each other... They're about 6 months old now, so I guess I'll maybe have that coming in the coming months lol. Fingers crossed that they don't do that :x or hopefully they'll be too distracted with 30 hens to hate each other. But sounds like I might have _another_ problem to deal with in the future :) Thanks for the heads up.

As far as the targeted hen, it seems like a combination of breeding/attacking. Surprisingly her feathers really aren't in too bad of condition, so that makes me think it's moreso breeding. She's a quick girl, so they don't always catch her haha.
I think if it's not that hen, it'll be another, as the roosters compete with each other. If you have the space, you might consider housing 2 of the roosters separately until you have enough pullets to keep everybody happy. Good luck!

I think if it's not that hen, it'll be another, as the roosters compete with each other. If you have the space, you might consider housing 2 of the roosters separately until you have enough pullets to keep everybody happy. Good luck!

That's a good suggestion. I may have to see if I can set up a second area for two of them for the time being until the other pullets get introduced to the flock.

Thanks for the constructive feedback.

Back
Top Bottom