Roosters, the unsung hero thread; Pictures.

BirdsBeesTrees

Integrity.
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Mar 10, 2019
Iowa
I thought it would be fun for everyone to post a couple pictures of the unsung heroes of our flocks; our roosters (or Drakes)! :) Join me in posting some beautiful pictures of your sweet boys!
Here is Birchen, he is a Blue Birchen Maran Rooster (from Greenfire Farms) I introduced to my hens recently. They loved him immediately! He's a sweet boy always looking after his girls.
IMG_1374.JPG

This is our little cockerel (almost rooster), Fox. He's the sweetest thing ever and is amazingly patient with our children. I've never had to worry about how he might behave. All our other cockerels have been beastly once hormones kick in, but we've had none of that from our sweet little Fox.
Fox 1.jpg

And after dispatching a very aggressive Muscovy drake we bought a couple more females. I collected some of their eggs to hatch because the people we got them from culled any aggressive birds (unfortunately most were double yolkers) but one hatched out. He was raised by one of our tiny bantam hens and he has turned out to be the sweetest thing as well (and thankfully a boy). Now he will come up to us for pats and he even squats submissively. The kids can pick him up no problem. His name is Trouble and now that the girls have stopped being broody he happily spends most of his days on the pond with them instead of following the dog around (much to the dog's relief).
Trouble.jpg

Was about to start an 'I love roosters' thread and found yours :)

#1 Batman. I loved him! He'd come to the deck door and looked at me through the glass with one eye...
I needed to re-home him, because he crowed a lot, which the neighbor did not appreciate (only one, others were fine or loved Batman). Batman lives now happily in the countryside with his little harem.
00000IMG_00000_BURST20201007120641449_COVER.jpg

#2 Frizzle. Such a cutie. He grew up with a d'Uccle hen, and she thought him to fly. When they were little, they'd never leave each other's side. And now, they walk around together, an old married couple.
PXL_20210327_021508212.PORTRAIT.jpg

#3 Dexter. He picks flowers from my shrubs by jumping up, and throws them on the ground for the hens. He is makes very funny noises, like the Muppets when they are surprised. Very attentive and warns the hens of any bird flying by. He loves red fruit.
PXL_20210410_221459698.PORTRAIT.jpg

Which one do you like best? :)

Was about to start an 'I love roosters' thread and found yours :)

#1 Batman. I loved him! He'd come to the deck door and looked at me through the glass with one eye...
I needed to re-home him, because he crowed a lot, which the neighbor did not appreciate (only one, others were fine or loved Batman). Batman lives now happily in the countryside with his little harem.
View attachment 2640772

#2 Frizzle. Such a cutie. He grew up with a d'Uccle hen, and she thought him to fly. When they were little, they'd never leave each other's side. And now, they walk around together, an old married couple.
View attachment 2640778

#3 Dexter. He picks flowers from my shrubs by jumping up, and throws them on the ground for the hens. He is makes very funny noises, like the Muppets when they are surprised. Very attentive and warns the hens of any bird flying by. He loves red fruit.
View attachment 2640782

Which one do you like best? :)
It's hard to choose, each one has a great story! 😊

I love Roosters. My boys always seem to worm their ways into my heart quicker then any hen can.
This was Toothless, a easter egger x Wyandotte mix. I rehomed him last fall and he's very happy at his new place with his new flock of hens. I still have 2 of his daughters and a few grandkids of his just hatched.
DSCN0020 (1).JPG

This is my main man Drumstick a Black Copper Marans. A complete puppy dog in a chickens body. He's wonderful to his hens and loves all the chicks. While the momma's are super protective over their babies he's the only chicken they will allow to get close.
DSCN3355.JPG

Next is Drumsticks son Bumblebee another Black Copper Marans who is 10 months old. He is also a sweet boy and is learning the ropes from his daddy on good rooster etiquette.
DSCN3213.JPG

8FD6D632-8D35-410A-9F7C-FDACED91690A.jpeg
Eclipse, one of my bantam cockerels, now deceased. He was very fun to watch and acted like the toughest rooster around, despite being lowest in the rooster pecking order.

2A94A609-474E-4AC1-A39B-4CD1B11C1E1F.jpeg
Chester, also deceased. He was a member of my rooster-only flock and loved to be around me. He liked chest scratches.

View attachment 2644850Eclipse, one of my bantam cockerels, now deceased. He was very fun to watch and acted like the toughest rooster around, despite being lowest in the rooster pecking order.

View attachment 2644840Chester, also deceased. He was a member of my rooster-only flock and loved to be around me. He liked chest scratches.
Would you tell me how you have a rooster only flock, I’m interested in hearing how to do it.

Back
Top Bottom