Roosters trouble

VanUnamed

Songster
5 Years
Jul 26, 2018
Romania
Hello!
I have a question, before i do something permanent to which i will regret.
I have 22 hens in an enclosed run, this enclosed run has also another enclosed pen, in which i had 14 chickens that i bought for meat from a company
of those, I kept one nice white rooster, i love him so much, for now he is in there alone, he can see the hens and all.
The roosterS issue, is that i also have other meat birds on pasture with moveable tractors, but soon, all of those except a few females and... One rooster.. will go.
The issue is, I want to keep the guy as he is even bigger and grew very fast, he will be the main breeder. The white guy, I love him, and his job, laugh how much you want, is to specifically be an annoyance, he crows non-stop. My neighbour, which I don't like, has like several roosters that do the very same thing, so it amuses me that my white guy crows so much that in the end he wins.
My issue is, what if i wanted to eventually have all the chickens in the same coop-run? those two guys were raised in completely separate areas, and never saw each other. It is possible that they will never get along :(
Very soon, i will divide the white rooster pen in two, and move the "survivors" from pasture "next door" (i have 2 smaller coops) and I see what happens
I am worried that if i put the white rooster with the hens now, before he saw the other guy, then it'll be really impossible to introduce.
What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 20201018_143214.jpg
    20201018_143214.jpg
    616.7 KB · Views: 7
What you're contemplating is a chemistry experiment with unknown outcomes. When mixing volatile elements, it's wise to first be aware of the possible consequences.

Roosters that have reached the hormonal stage are unpredictable for one. Roosters in proximity to hens can be volatile as hens stimulate hormones which provoke aggression. So, it's a good idea to proceed slowly and with caution.

I would first try out the roosters together without the hens in the picture and watch how they behave with each other. The best outcome would be a brief skirmish that will establish one of the two as dominant and the other one accepting this. If, however, the encounter escalates into a bloody battle that shows signs of going on until one of the combatants is dead, it wouldn't indicate compatibility or even the possibility of the two making a peaceful compact.

Next, if they demonstrate that they've worked out the dominance hierarchy between them, try the two roosters with all of the hens. It's very possible that they will choose separate harems and the hens will follow their choices. This has proved to be the happy case in my flock with my two roosters, father and son, having divided the hens between them. They can all be seen out free ranging with their respective hens clustered around each boy as they stand guard over their hens as they peck and scratch.

Once in a while the younger one challenges the older roo. There's a brief, comical skirmish where everyone involved knows the outcome, and the younger one sulks for a few minutes, and then it's quickly back to normal.

It is possible that they will never get along

What are your thoughts?

I don't think it matters that much if he is introduced to hens before he meets the other rooster. If they are going to fight over the girls they are going to fight over the girls. That may be a fight to the death or they may get along after they decide which is boss. But you have to try to maximize your chances.

One concern I have is that it sounds like one might still be an immature cockerel. That adds several twists to it. The more mature will easily dominate. That might involve chasing and running away or a killing. If they do get along, as the younger one matures he may challenge the boss. He may win, he may lose.

I'd try it the way Azygous suggested. Put the boys together with no girls around and see what happens. If one is a cockerel I would not wait for him to grow up, just do it. If they stabilize give them some time together to bond before you introduce the girls. Give them as much room as you can and see what happens. It may work out great or you may need to permanently separate them.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions, i will try that. And no, they aren't very much different in age, the white one in the pic is maybe 1 month max younger than the other. I will put the two boys in separate pens that they can see each other for some days, then i will put them in the same area, and no hens, we'll see :) thanks will update

Ok, i put the rooster from the pasture right next to the white rooster, net was in between them, they fought and both got a bloodied face, but after 10-15 minutes it stopped, and no further figthing occoured. at the end it looked like both were tired and were longing to just peck the ground and stop it, but ofc neither would't give in. i am so sorry that they got bloody :(

Last edited:
What happened with your two roosters was very normal. The reason they got bloody, was because neither of them was ready to back down. The fight very likely established who would win in any arguments from now going forward. If the fight didn't resolve who would be dominant, they would still be fighting, and the injuries would be very serious.

If you are curious to see which one won first place, watch them and if you see one chasing the other one around the yard, the one doing the chasing won.

The injuries they inflicted on each other were probably minor comb and wattle bites. They heal quickly.

yesterday, just to see, i left the gates of both pens, so both roosters went with the hens, they didnt fight at all, the one from the pasture has lost, as he avoided the other rooster at all costs. otherwise, they do not fight at all so I assume all went well??

You can assume these guys indeed have an understanding. They may decide to "renegotiate" once in a while, but it shouldn't amount to much more than a comedy skit.

Back
Top Bottom