Roosters trying to kill hen

Mattsiewrt94

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 5, 2013

Hello well here a quick scoop of what's been happening there's a couple questions I got I have a Rhode Island Red rooster and I got this chick who turned out to be a rooster but anyway he's grown up and they don't really fight my red rooster gots the best for him because I'm assuming because he's a year older but anyway I went to feed them the other day an I see my barred rock pecking at the back of my hens head they weren't mating my other rooster ran to save her and he did but I feel like there mating with her to much the feathers on her back are broken fallin out but idk what to do and Rhode Island Red rooster got frostbite on his comb so I'm more than 90% sure it's gonna fall of and also he had blisters that popped and now are wounds I'm gonna get antibacterial cream to put on all his cuts and wounds but what do I need to do

The Rhode Island Red hen as the is the victim if you look at her back you can see the feathers and the Rhode Island Red rooster you can see his frostbite

Since he cant beat the other rooster he seems to be taking it out on the hen. They are not trying to kill her on purpose but they will stress her out. I think you should separate the roosters, or the hen so she can recuperate.

Also try vaseline on the combs. And make sure the coop has more ventilation so moisture doesnt build up. Some kind of opening near the roof can work.

How long should I seperate her ?? Is there a way I can get two different flocks they free range and sleep in one of our barns we have 3 or 4 out there so there's a lot of places to sleep and for the flocks to be seperated

And isn't there nothing I can do about the frostbite ?? I know Vaseline helps prevent but it's already frostbite on him that why it was just gonna get antibacterial cream for his open wounds . What kind of cream should I get ??

I think splitting the flock is a good idea. If youre going to do that you will have to make some sort of enclosure. Are they always free ranging or do they have an enclosure already?

A antibacterial creme with aloe vera is good. And if you cant get one that already has aloe vera, buy the aloe vera separately. Frostbite is one of those things that can only be prevented and left to heal on its own when it has happened.

Well all my barns are open so they free range all day and sleep where they want but they usually go to the same spot in one barn but I was thinking if I just put the rooster by himself and got some more hens lock them in a barn for a little to get to know eachother, then just let them free range and go where they please

Theres a big chance they will all just group together. But having a large group of hens might distract the attention on that particular hen. Chickens naturally bully each other, its going to happen in the best flocks. As long as you keep an eye on them and not let things get out of hand (no bleeding) they should be okay. And since they free range that chicken can escape if it needs to.

You can also try a chicken saddle but ive never used one.

Back
Top Bottom