1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters vocal cords

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenbarn-gal, Jul 3, 2010.

1. chickenbarn-gal

chickenbarn-gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I was just wondering, can you take out a roosters vocal cords?? So they can't sing? I would NEVER do it to any of my rooster but I was just wondering.. [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    -Mychickenbarn

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    You might be able to do it with surgery, but that would be very expensive and the bird might not make it through the surgery. [​IMG] but idk if that is even possible.

3. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    It is called decrowing. It is very painful for the rooster, and a very risky surgery. But it is possible! [​IMG]

4. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Hm, my neighbor did something to her dogs voice box so it can't bark. I think that's cruel, but it's not my dog. [​IMG]

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Roosters, like other birds, don't have vocal cords. They make sounds by passing air through their syrinx, which is a tube-like structure in their throats.

For the person who posted about a successful "decrowing" of a rooster, do you have any supporting links or references for that? I'm afraid that's one of those urban legends.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Not to hijack the thread, but I had to respond to this comment. HUMANE de-barking does not involve the removal of any "voice box," but is a light [medical] shaving of the vocal cords to lower the register of the barking to a raspy sound. The dog can still bark, but the sound is much less noisy. Also, if the dog is not kept from barking for the first few weeks after the procedure, there can be scar tissue that builds and the "bark" may come back.

I have had this procedure done to two dogs. My vet will only perform it for four breeds KNOWN for excessive barking, and dachshunds are one of those breeds. Nowadays, neighborhood houses are much closer, and certain breeds just bark and bark - it's in their breeding. Well, someone poisoned one of my doxies (luckily we saved him) and the vet suggested de-barking him. I was horrified until she explained the procedure. It was far less cruel than risking either of them being poisoned (again). Because my second doxie was de-barked at the same time he was neutered, he was very young (4 months old) and HIS bark returned because his vocal cords were still growing. He had the procedure repeated later. He still barks, but it's not the shrill yappy dachshund bark, but a husky sound.

Anyway, back to the original topic. Sorry for the interruption!

7. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Quote:Not to hijack the thread, but I had to respond to this comment. HUMANE de-barking does not involve the removal of any "voice box," but is a light [medical] shaving of the vocal cords to lower the register of the barking to a raspy sound. The dog can still bark, but the sound is much less noisy. Also, if the dog is not kept from barking for the first few weeks after the procedure, there can be scar tissue that builds and the "bark" may come back.

I have had this procedure done to two dogs. My vet will only perform it for four breeds KNOWN for excessive barking, and dachshunds are one of those breeds. Nowadays, neighborhood houses are much closer, and certain breeds just bark and bark - it's in their breeding. Well, someone poisoned one of my doxies (luckily we saved him) and the vet suggested de-barking him. I was horrified until she explained the procedure. It was far less cruel than risking either of them being poisoned (again). Because my second doxie was de-barked at the same time he was neutered, he was very young (4 months old) and HIS bark returned because his vocal cords were still growing. He had the procedure repeated later. He still barks, but it's not the shrill yappy dachshund bark, but a husky sound.

Anyway, back to the original topic. Sorry for the interruption!

[​IMG]

8. chickenbarn-gal

chickenbarn-gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    [​IMG] Oh, thanks everybody! I was just ALWAYS wondering that question! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    I've decrowed a few roosters in my day. Although the surgeries were successful the patients always died. [​IMG]

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:I have to agree with you..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by