Rooster's wing torn completely off by our dog- Is there anything else I should be doing for him?

kdwhita

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 27, 2014
South Carolina
I came home three days ago to find that our Australian cattle dog had gotten loose from the runner she was on. She was excited to see me when I got home, and I decided to leave her out for a while to let her get some exercise (our chickens were fenced in the backyard).
A while later, my fiancé and I went out to feed all our animals as usual, and I went to the opposite side of the yard from him to feed two dogs I recently rescued (they are staying in a kennel). He was tossing scratch grains for our chickens, and saw that our rooster (Big Red is his name-he’s a RIR) was outside the fenced in backyard, lying behind our well house. He was also not acting like himself when he got up and tried walk toward the scratch feed being thrown out. My fiancé went to check on him and saw a lot of blood on him. He picked him up and started yelling for me to come look that "His wing is gone!!" I couldn't even fathom what he meant as we've never had one of our birds injured that badly. Sure enough, I ran over and below the mangled mess of bloody feathers and dirt, I could see that his entire right wing was totally ripped from his body. It was just gone, nowhere to be found. I knew that our dog was the culprit since the injury was so new, and she loves to chase after our chickens anytime she gets a chance.
We sat the rooster down on the ground to get a better look at him, and he just started pouring blood like someone had turned on a faucet. Pressure wasn’t stopping it, my fiancé and I were both frantic, and I was just sure he was going to bleed out on us. I had even asked my fiancé to go get the gun to put him down and out of his misery so he didn’t have to suffer. In a last ditch effort to stop the bleeding, we rushed him inside, and my decided our only choice was to cauterized the source of the bleeding. He used a thick kitchen knife heated on the burner of our stove. It sounds horrible and I was very scared about it hurting him, or even killing him from the shock of the pain. Almost immediately when my fiancé stuck the hot knife to the wound to cauterize, Big Red closed his eyes and got very still, and I was just sure he had passed away. We stopped what we were doing to check for signs of life, and he was still breathing!! Luckily, the cauterization worked and the bleeding stopped immediately. I’m assuming him going limp and closing his eyes was the chicken equivalent of passing out from pain like humans do. With Big Red fast asleep on his side, we started cleaning him up so we could really take a look at the damage.

Below is a photo of how Big Red looked after the wound was cauterized, before we started cleaning him up (see why I thought he was dead?!)

We started by cleaning off dirt and debris from the wound, and checking him all over for any other injuries. Luckily, the only other thing wrong was some irritated skin and feathers missing from his behind, which I knew from experience would heal with no problem. We cut down all the feathers that were around or could reach the wound with scissors to keep them from irritating it. Then, we got down to actually figuring out what to do with what was left of where his wing used to be. It was late in the afternoon, so there was no access to a vet. So, I started googling what to do to see if anyone online had dealt with this problem before, and came across several threads here on backyardchickens.com. One of the main things I saw we needed to do was to get the bone to be below the skin so that it could heal over it properly. So, we took a pair of our wire snips that we use for fencing, and snipped what was left of his bone down probably an inch below his skin so that it wouldn’t be poking out. Then, we cleaned out the wound by pulling out several broken shards of bone (some had to be separated from the skin around it by cutting them free) and poured alcohol over the area to kill bacteria. We also slathered the area with neosporin, and covered it with the only thing we had available at the time which was band aids(which worked good because we were able to pull the wound together), and wrapped a small strip of duct tape across the ends of the band aids to keep them secured to his little nub that was left. We cut the sleeve off of a t-shirt to put on him to keep from pecking at the wound (I didn't think he could reach it but just in case)

Here he is all patched up the first night.

After we patched him up, it was almost like he knew we were finished and he started to come alive again. He would open his eyes and just look at us, and stretch his feet while lying on his side. Once we were satisfied with his bandages, we moved him into a rubbermaid container with cedar bedding and a pillowcase to lay on under a heating lamp so that he could rest and recover. He slept all that evening/night with his beak straight down on the pillowcase, only opening his eyes when we would get really close to his new home or touch him. I put some sugar water and food in the container with him just in case he wanted to eat or drink, but I didn't force fluids in him that night-he had been through enough. I really wasn't sure how he would do, or if he would even make it through the night, but we had to give him a chance.

Sleeping on his side with his beak straight down.

The next morning, I was thrilled to wake up and find that he was alert and sitting over by his food and water. I was cautiously optimistic that he might just pull through! I checked to make sure his bandages were still secure, and went on in to work.

On the way home from work, I stopped and bought proper bandaging materials, some peroxide, and a bottle of injectable Penicillin G from our local feed store. I came home to find him alert and standing in his cage, his food was all eaten, bowel movements had been made, and almost all his water was gone. My boy was back!

My chihuahua Ella is there in the photo. She's a great little mommy when we have sick animals. She routinely goes and peeks her head over the side of the box to check on him.

GRAPHIC PHOTOS OF WOUNDS BELOW! My fiance and I laid Big Red on his side once again the day after his injury to change the bandages and make sure infection was not setting in. We used his little t-shirt to cover his head and help keep him calm. The area of his wound that was charred black the day before from being cauterized had become lighter in color, and we checked to make sure that there were no bone fragments that we missed sticking out. Everything looked healthy enough to me considering what he had just gone through, and the wound already seemed to be coming together. We cleaned everything well with peroxide, covered it again with neosporin, rebandaged him with a breathable bandage, gave him an injection of antibiotics, and moved him into a larger box so he can walk around and stretch his legs.

On his side with bandages removed. Day 1 after injury.

Closer view

Here he is rebandaged on day 1 after injury.

It is presently day 3 after his injury, and he seems to be getting better day by day. We didn't change his bandage the second day after, I figured we would change bandages every other day to try and mess with the wound as little as possible and let him heal. So..have any of you ever had a chicken survive such an injury? What else can I be doing for him besides keeping the area bacteria free and giving him antibiotics? What will his future look like being without a wing? I will update with his progress as he continues to improve!

Last edited:
Day 5 Progress

The green bruising from two days ago has faded to yellow and looks a lot better! Yay for it not being gangrene!! It seems a little more swollen than it did, but it's scabbed over and healing nicely. We are still changing the bandage every other day and keeping the wound slathered with neosporin. His last dose of the penicillin G was today, so tomorrow (Monday) I'm going to call our vet and see if he will prescribe us some stronger antibiotics, or if he has any other suggestions on what we should be doing.

Wound on day 5 (green bruising has faded to yellow)

On his side with his head covered..having his bandages changed. He has become less and less cooperative each day (not mean, just trying to get away from us) so that encourages me and lets me know he's feeling more like himself!

Yesterday (day 4 since the injury), we put Big Red down in the yard with his three hens and two guinea buddies (trust me he was under very close supervision to make sure they didn't mess with his wound). The second his feet touched the ground, he ran straight over to one of the hens and proceeded to breed her!! I was shocked to see that missing his wing didn't mess up his balance or sex drive at all..and during the probably 45mins he was outside with everyone, he mated with each of the three hens.

His buddies didn't seem to mind at all that he was injured..but we didn't leave him unattended just in case they decided to peck at him.

Even my pig Napoleon was glad to see his buddy out of the house!

Week Four Update! Big Red One Month Later

Today marks one month since Big Red's injury! This first month has sure been a rollercoaster ride! From the beginning where we were doubtful that he would even live, to him slowly becoming alert, moving, and eating/drinking again, then a few days later his whole nub/ injury area turning green (scared it was gangrene..thankfully not..just a bad bruise!), the fun of daily antibiotic injections and bandage changes, then finally having the rollercoaster smooth out over the last couple weeks with no setbacks, just healing and getting back to his old self!

Progress from day one to one month! So impressed!

No change in how we are handling his injury, we just make sure it stays clean and dry, and are letting him heal with time. Big Red continues to stay outside in his personal pen, and we are still bringing him in anytime there's rain in the forecast, or if the temp. at night gets below around 45-50ish degrees. We don't want him getting wet/muddy and damaging the scab that has formed, and since he still has a good sized bare spot under his nub I don't want him getting cold either. I know he could stand for temps. to be lower than that and be just fine, but my common-sense method is if my bare skin is chilly when I go out at night, then his probably is too! There's no sense in him being uncomfortable outside when his warm 'hospital room' inside the house is available..lol.

He's roosting mainly on the top pole now! The other day I looked out the kitchen window and caught him practicing roosting! It was the funniest thing, and something I had never seen him do before. He would start on the ground and go: ground-lower perch-upper perch-ground-lower perch-upper perch, he did this like 5 times in a row! Self-imposed physical therapy I'm guessing? :) I'm still working on getting a video...

On this photo you can see that lighter color piece of scab that is falling off. Over the past couple of days several strip like pieces have started to hang off, so I just snip them off with a pair of scissors so it doesn't look so gross mainly, and to keep them from poking him/ snagging & pulling on something.

He's still making great progress on growing new feathers, too! The majority of his bare skin has filled back in with a light layer of feathers, but he's still bare on his nub and on the underside of it. I'm curious to see if he'll eventually grow feathers there or not.

I'm waiting for that big black chunk of a scab to fall off any day now! It just wiggles like a loose tooth when you touch it, and I can't wait because it will look so much better when that's gone. You can already see on the right hand side where the scab has already fallen off on its own how much healing has taken place under there!

He's such a trooper! Enjoying his perch..

You are doing a great job with him. Stop using the peroxide now, as it is nowadays thought to prevent healing. If it needs cleaning, use weak betadine or saline. Neosporin without pain reliever is good to put on the wound. Penicillin G injections are good, and about the only antibiotic for wounds that we can get in the feed stores, but I would ask you vet to prescribe a better one since bone infection is a great risk to him. You may need some BluKote later on when he has healed to disguise his wound when he is back in the flock. Please keep us updated on his condition and and progress.

Last edited:
Day 12 Update

Well here I am a day late after just bragging on myself in the last post about updating every two days. :) Whoops..lol. However, there's not really much to report other than HEALING which is why I haven't thought about it! Big Red is doing so well, and I am so amazed when I look back at photos and think about what a traumatic injury he suffered!
Big Red continued to crow at all the wrong times, so I made the decision to turn off his heat lamp. I felt like he was healed up enough to the point where he really didn't need it, and maybe that would stop him from crowing at random times during the day/night. (It's been in the high 70's-low 80's here during the day and he's in the house so no chance of him being too cold) Since he's been without the light (his box is by a window, and I pull up the blinds at night so he'll be able to see the sun come up in the morning), he's gone back to crowing at his usual 5:30 am time, which is wonderful since that's when I have to get up for work (earlier some days). It's been really nice having a real live alarm clock in the house!
On my last post, I said I was going to keep neosporin and bandages on him since it looked too dried out and cracked almost without it. I changed my mind on that though after his bandages continued to come off. He is moving that wing "nub" way too much now for anything to stick, and some of his feathers are growing back too, which makes it even harder. So, for the last couple days we've just left it alone totally, and it's continuing to heal slowly but surely!
One other funny thing to report is that even though he is in a box that has sides over 2ft. tall, he's been caught escaping three times now! One morning, my fiance came home to find him wandering around our living room after I'd gone to work, and two other times when it was later in the day than the time we usually take him outside, he just jumped right on out like he owned the place! Lol..so obviously the lack of one wing isn't hindering his jumping ability one bit!! Today was the first day where we left him outside for an extended period of time. We have a separate round pen that is very secure that we usually use for when our hens hatch out chicks, so we let him stay in there for a few hours by himself and he loved it! It was cooler outside today, so I didn't feel like we had to worry as much about flies (and maggots) or gnats getting in/around his wound, which is my main concern about him being outside.

Sorry about the bad lighting, I usually take photos when he's out during the day so there's lots of natural light, but this is just under the light from his heat lamp that I turned on for the pics.

Full body side view.

Injury side view.

Looking down on him, you can't see his injury at all! I'm sure once his feathers grow back it it will be even harder to tell he was hurt at all.

it's nearly miraculous how the skin just healed right over the exposed bone. And fascinating to see how a feather sprouts from a little plastic looking tube!

Wow quick thinking with the hot knife don't give up hope he will pull through
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom