Roosters With No Tail Feathers

Snap62

Songster
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
Okemah, Oklahoma
I have 2 banty roosters, that have lost their tail feathers. It was either a bigger rooster, or maybe a preditor, that may have plucked or pulled them out

My question is........... Will they eventually grow their tail feathers back? Or, are they gone for good?

Hey Snap62,
I have the same question.
Been searching for the answer.
My BR cockerel (5 mos)only has 1-long sickle left.
I wonder if it's like molting, when they will lose &
refeather?
I'm sure we'll get help on this question.
fl.gif

My understanding is that they don't grow feathers constantly like we do hair, so once the feathers are gone, they won't grow new ones until the next molt cycle.

Quote:
That depends on whether the follicle is still filled. A feather only grows to a certain length; once it grows to that length it stops (with certain specific exceptions). If the feather shaft is broken off (or cut, as in trimming wings) the feather won't start growing again until the remnants are shed in the molt. If something grabs a feather and yanks it out, though, it will regrow almost immediately.

RSD

i have a rooster whos tail feathers were plucked by the girls when they were younger and they grew back in. I didnt know the technicals of it as the previous post mentioned, good info.

Yes, not to worry, sooner or later they will definitely grow back. Sometimes it takes a little while, but when they do they'll look great, much better than the old feathers. Till then, your poor old roo will have to do with the bald look.

Hi,does it look like this? If so Our poultry Ldr. say it's pluckin cuz there's no chew marks.We've had it happen 4 times in the last 5 wks.
somad.gif
Plus it's happening to the black & gold colored ones,ready to shoot them dang boys.
idunno.gif
Keep them seperate until it's healed,they'll keep doing it cuz it's naked.I didn't know they would do this to eachother. Plus if it's blood feathers they'll need to get pulled out or the bird can bleed to death.Try to find an avian vet in your area and ask them what to do.
30313_pol_tail.jpg

Last edited:
My roo has lost all of his tail feathers last fall (2011) and here it is January and they've still not grown back. The hens all moulted during autumn and all have their feathers back now. His back end is fully feathered except for the long tail feathers! And I even think it has taken some of his "virility" away, because he doesn't seem to be bothering the hens too much any more either. Do you think it will change come spring? We have had a very mild winter this year, too, so not sure if this has any bearing on it. He just looks so horizontally short!!!

Back
Top Bottom