Roosters

mamma chicken

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2015
I have 8 chickens in my flock. 6 Hens and 2 Roosters.i have heard that if you have two Roosters they will fight and the dominant one could kill the more submissive. I like them both , but don't want them to hurt each other

They may spat here and there, but I think you will be fine. It is actually better to have three rooster than two, that way they do not focus all of their attention on the other guy. What breeds are they?

One rooster can handle 10 hens - two roosters would need 20 ,so that they don't overbreed the same females over and over again damaging them in the process. If you had more hens you could split them up into two flocks each with 10 hens - which would make both boys happy.

One rooster can handle 10 hens - two roosters would need 20 ,so that they don't overbreed the same females over and over again damaging them in the process. If you had more hens you could split them up into two flocks each with 10 hens - which would make both boys happy.
welcome-byc.gif

x2 on drumstick diva's comments. I'd be concerned about the girls possibly being overbred with only 6 hens.

I have 8 chickens in my flock. 6 Hens and 2 Roosters.i have heard that if you have two Roosters they will fight and the dominant one could kill the more submissive. I like them both , but don't want them to hurt each other

Not the best hen to rooster ratio. More hens means less time they fight. A rooster can only handle so many hens and if he can't cover them all another rooster will pick up what the dominant rooster leaves. They'll still fight just not as much nor as bad.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on that 10 to 1 hen to rooster ratio. As they mature and their hormones kick in, too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens, over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching and 1 rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens in that regard. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom