Roosters?

The red one is a sex link of some sort. My money is on the silkie, can we see pictures of the comb on the silkie? Maybe the red laced Wyandotte, but wyandottes can mature quickly regardless of gender.
The silkie!? Lol it’s so tiny! Let me try to get a picture of the comb.

The silkie!? Lol it’s so tiny! Let me try to get a picture of the comb.
Again, I’m brand new to this. I don’t feel a comb under there at all, it’s just feathers…

Attachments

• AB724BC3-0F0F-4EE3-81CA-66432FD72E7F.jpeg
    AB724BC3-0F0F-4EE3-81CA-66432FD72E7F.jpeg
    371.8 KB · Views: 3
I am not seeing anything, of any of the ones pictured. That makes me think they are roosters. It is also easier see them, if they are just standing. Clearly showing their head, along with the neck, saddle and tail feathers.
I’ll keep trying to take better pictures.

Attachments

• 890F7E77-6CBC-41FC-BE95-52B339ACE0F3.jpeg
    890F7E77-6CBC-41FC-BE95-52B339ACE0F3.jpeg
    576.4 KB · Views: 2
  • AF41582C-E978-4353-B603-062F71CC21E8.jpeg
    AF41582C-E978-4353-B603-062F71CC21E8.jpeg
    707.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 47EF2495-8299-4ABE-91E6-7164CDF67E99.jpeg
    47EF2495-8299-4ABE-91E6-7164CDF67E99.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 7C4AA810-AFE4-4015-9DC1-E3D5308A7D3E.jpeg
    7C4AA810-AFE4-4015-9DC1-E3D5308A7D3E.jpeg
    898.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 3D441E4D-08D0-4179-BE68-FD008DE49E36.jpeg
    3D441E4D-08D0-4179-BE68-FD008DE49E36.jpeg
    762.8 KB · Views: 2
Was Easter already 11 weeks ago? Wow. At 11 weeks this should not be that hard. Talking about the 5 photos in your post #13, looking at just the combs and wattles, not of them look that bright red. At that age they should be brighter red so that is a good sign.

That first one, the red one with a white tail, is not a RIR. From the body build, posture, and heavy legs that could be a boy. The hackle feathers look a little sharp. I'm not sure on that one. I don't know any breed TSC sells that have a red body and white tail, but some red sex links are colored like that. If it is a red sex link and is red, it's a girl. I'd say probably a girl but I'm not 100% sure.

The last one, a GLW, also has the posture, build, and legs of a boy. Saddle feathers look rounded but hackle feathers could be sharp. The bird has noticeable wattles, but they are not bright red. I get mixed signals on this one, could go either way.

The other three should be girls.

one (or more) of them have started crowing periodically in the mornings.
Maybe someone in your family could sit outside one morning and watch to see who crows.
Or maybe you could set up a camera to record them for a while in the morning.

Usually, looking at them is enough to figure out which is the male, but yours seem to be extra-confusing :)

Was Easter already 11 weeks ago? Wow. At 11 weeks this should not be that hard. Talking about the 5 photos in your post #13, looking at just the combs and wattles, not of them look that bright red. At that age they should be brighter red so that is a good sign.

That first one, the red one with a white tail, is not a RIR. From the body build, posture, and heavy legs that could be a boy. The hackle feathers look a little sharp. I'm not sure on that one. I don't know any breed TSC sells that have a red body and white tail, but some red sex links are colored like that. If it is a red sex link and is red, it's a girl. I'd say probably a girl but I'm not 100% sure.

The last one, a GLW, also has the posture, build, and legs of a boy. Saddle feathers look rounded but hackle feathers could be sharp. The bird has noticeable wattles, but they are not bright red. I get mixed signals on this one, could go either way.

The other three should be girls.
Thank you!
Red sex link sounds right now that your mention it. Maybe next time the Easter Bunny will pay more attention to these things… lol
First time with chickens, so it’s all new to me! They seem to be starving all the time, but don’t want to eat chicken food, so I wasn’t sure if that’s why their combs are so light. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Maybe someone in your family could sit outside one morning and watch to see who crows.
Or maybe you could set up a camera to record them for a while in the morning.

Usually, looking at them is enough to figure out which is the male, but yours seem to be extra-confusing :)
Beginners luck I guess!
Every time I go out to see who is crowing they all stop and stare at me. I’ve even tried from a window where they can’t see me, but they seem to know I’m there. A camera is a good idea. Thanks!

Beginners luck I guess!
Every time I go out to see who is crowing they all stop and stare at me. I’ve even tried from a window where they can’t see me, but they seem to know I’m there. A camera is a good idea. Thanks!
I've had that problem, too.
Sometimes it works to just sit there for a while, or do something nearby (like pulling weeds), until they decide I'm boring, and they get on with whatever else they want to do (like crowing.)

Of course, just sitting there makes me a target for all the mosquitoes or gnats in the area, so that idea has its downsides too.

Thank you!
Red sex link sounds right now that your mention it. Maybe next time the Easter Bunny will pay more attention to these things… lol
First time with chickens, so it’s all new to me! They seem to be starving all the time, but don’t want to eat chicken food, so I wasn’t sure if that’s why their combs are so light. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Have you given them treats? They can get spoiled and picky if they get used to anything other than chick feed.

Back
Top Bottom