Roosters

I'm going to get a welsummer roo and I don't know what my 2nd will be

Last edited:
Hello,

If you do have more than one rooster, if one is a Welsummer, the other should be another Welsummer or one of a large breed.

I had one each of Welsummer and Australorp roos who fought all the time. anything smaller than the Australorp would be injured or killed by a Wellsummer who will be a larger bird. My two finally came to a detant but the Australorp still was in a fightin' mood if the Australorp tried to mate a hen.

Further, the hens began to look worn out with feathers missing on their backs and where the roos grabbed onto their necks. I thought two roos for the 20 hens was too many and kept the Australorp and sent the Welsummer to freezer camp. The flock seems much more calm and the hens appear less worn (except for the two or three favorite hens--or at least the slower ones who do not often avoid the roo).

'just one man's opinion.

Topknot19

I would suggest same sized roosters

With that said, I also know if you have a well behaved rooster you can have large and small together. I have a large rooster and a bantam rooster and when the bantam gets out of line the large one will smack him but then walk away.... not tear up the little one.

Best thing would be to raise them together from chicks.

If you have you allow your chickens to free or day range, you will want to have at least 2 roosters. They are the guardians of the flock. Pick a rooster that is known to be docile.

Back
Top Bottom