Roosters?

jonesiegirl

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 29, 2012
Maryland
I am unsure about having roosters. I have 14 chickens, 4 Barred Rock, 5 Red Sex-linked and 5 RIR.
I want to have some eggs fertilized and raise some chicks to sell. But, I don't know where to get a mature rooster and I'm not sure how many/what breed to get.
I have never had one before so I have no idea how to care for them and how they react towards people and my hens.
So if you have any answers to my questions that would be great! Let me know how the whole raising roosters work!

Wouldn't recommend a red sex linked rooster. Even if that rooster bred with the sex linked hens you would just get mutts. My R.I.R. rooster was mean but my uncles is nice so maybe that breed. Barred rock roosters I'm not sure about their personality. I would recommend a R.I.R. for the breeds you have. Those birds are good egg producers and most people would want that. The only thing is is if you want pure bred birds you will have to keep them separate from the rest of the flock. Generally speaking one or two roosters would be good for your sized flock. As far as how they will act towards you it depends on the roo for the most part. My brahma rooster is by far the best rooster I have had. Now my silver spangled hamburg rooster I used to have thats a different a story. No matter what I did He would still attack me. I hope this info. is helpful.

Neat thing about the breeds you have is that if you go with the RIR and don't hatch the sex links eggs, you get either RIR or sex link chicks. Try Craig's list or ask at your feed store if they know of any. There is also the buy sell trade forum here.

Back
Top Bottom