roosters

spitfire55

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 4, 2014
i have a golden lace polish 1 18wk old rooster and 1 18wk female and 1 silver lace polish bantum rooster12-14wks old how safe am i with them in a coop together right now should i take and remove the female both my roosters have started about 3weeks ago learning how to crow

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You should definitely remove your female. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens as more roosters than the 10 to 1 ratio can be very hard on your hens physically; over-breeding them, injuring them with their beaks and spurs, and battering them. I currently have 25 hens, no roosters, and I get loads of eggs without feeding any non-egg laying mouths, without the aggression, fights, crowing in the middle of the night, injuries, and over-bred and battered hens that frequently goes along with having roosters (especially too many of them). If you're going to keep a couple of roosters, you need to get a lot more hens to go with those roosters. Please feel free to ask any more questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on what Michael said. Only keep one rooster for every 10 hens. Too many equals fights, hens with too much attention and injured backs and aggressiveness.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to our's!:)

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

They are probably ok for now, but pretty soon you are going to want to only keep one of these roosters. Then you will need to ad to your flock of hens, as said above, the proper ratio is 1 roo to 10 hens. Not enough hens and the roo can over mate them, damaging feathers and even hurting the hens.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X4, you are going to want to get the pullet out of there since the roos are maturing/starting to crow since they will start going after her pretty soon, I would be a little concerned about keeping the two roos together since one is a bantam in case they decide to fight and the little guy can't get away.

If you don't intend to sell fertile eggs or hatch them yourself, you'd do a lot better to rehome the roosters and get more hens. Roosters, as flock protectors, are more likely to turn tail and run. If they do stand up to predators, they won't survive.

does anyone know were i can find a good home for a loving rooster would make a great pet is funny likes being carried like baby doll ///// he is a18-20week old golden lace polish

Back
Top Bottom