Roosting alone -- is that normal?

SnootyHen

Crowing
Apr 18, 2020
Illinois
My flock of 7 has always roosted together from when then were fuzzy chicks piled on top of each other to now (a little over 6 months old). There are 3 roosts in my coop and they all roost on the top one. At first they all roosted on the middle one and then when one figured out how to go up, they all did. For the last 3 nights, one of my Wyandottes has been roosting on the middle one by herself. When I went in to lock up the first time she did this, I checked her out, she seemed fine so I put her on the top roost myself and she seemed happy enough to stay there. But the next 2 nights it was the same thing with her roosting on the middle one alone. No other behavior changes and she doesn't have any obvious physical problems and she's laying almost daily. Is she just sick of roosting with them or should I be looking for something wrong?

Our 11 birds generally all roost at the same level; there’s plenty of room to do that. A few nights I’ve found Sparky, the only Sussex, on a lower roost. Over time she‘s become the low hen, and I’ve always thought this had something to do with her roosting alone and at a lower level.

It seems to bother me a lot more than it does her. 😑

Our 11 birds generally all roost at the same level; there’s plenty of room to do that. A few nights I’ve found Sparky, the only Sussex, on a lower roost. Over time she‘s become the low hen, and I’ve always thought this had something to do with her roosting alone and at a lower level.

It seems to bother me a lot more than it does her. 😑

I feel like this is probably more a "me" issue than a "her" issue too. She seems more irritated that I am moving her. I guess I am just hoping that when the new babies move into the coop they roost with her. I hate seeing her by herself but maybe she doesn't mind.

I feel like this is probably more a "me" issue than a "her" issue too.
Probably ;)
She may be low bird so the pecking order may dictate that she roost lower.
Or maybe they are just getting too big to all fit on that top roost?
Pics of your roosts might offer some clues.

I guess I am just hoping that when the new babies move into the coop they roost with her.
How old are the babies, how do you plan on integrating?
If she is low bird, she maybe the most aggressive to the newcomers.

Probably ;)
She may be low bird so the pecking order may dictate that she roost lower.
Or maybe they are just getting too big to all fit on that top roost?
Pics of your roosts might offer some clues.

How old are the babies, how do you plan on integrating?
If she is low bird, she maybe the most aggressive to the newcomers.

Oddly enough, after 3 nights on the middle roost with me putting her up, she went to the top roost on her own last night. So I'm not sure if she was just trying something out or if the mean girls wouldn't let her up those 3 nights or what. Definitely she could be low bird. The leghorn and the marans rule the flock. The 2 Wyandottes seems to fill a very passive role but usually together.

The babies arrive from Meyer this morning! Yay!! They will be in the brooder inside the house for a while but I was thinking after a couple of weeks putting a big dog crate in the run and letting them spend some supervised play time outside during the day in the crate so they can all see each other but not touch. And hopefully around 8 weeks move them into the coop if all looks good. Does that sound realistic?

This is the top roost that they all seem to prefer:

IMG_20200916_185047.jpg

Here is them when they first moved in and didn't realize they could fly. 😂

IMG_20200628_213245.jpg

And here's one of all of them when it was still being built:

IMG_20200625_172717.jpg

This is the top roost that they all seem to prefer:
Yeah, kinda tight for flying up...no wing space.

And hopefully around 8 weeks move them into the coop if all looks good. Does that sound realistic?
I like to brood in coop for early integration:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/
But not sure you have room for that......or more birds.
How many chicks?
Integration is tougher the less space there is.
Do you have a predator and weather proof run?

I have 15 pullets and a rooster. One of our pullets - Big Mama - has been roosting on a lower roost. There’s enough room for them on the higher roost. I think part of it is she’s a Light Brahma and she’s large (hence the name) and it may be hard for her to get up and down. She’s not lowest on the pecking order, she’s actually kind of at the top. Maybe she just likes her space?

Yeah, kinda tight for flying up...no wing space.

I like to brood in coop for early integration:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/
But not sure you have room for that......or more birds.
How many chicks?
Integration is tougher the less space there is.
Do you have a predator and weather proof run?

5 new ones coming. The run is covered and predator proof. I have been starting to bring the ones I have out to the rest of the yard supervised a little as well but we have hawks, foxes, coyotes and a slew of other things so they can't be out of the run alone. My dogs will keep the ground animals away but those hawks are something else and the migration is coming through right now too so it's worse than normal.

EDITED: Forgot to add that I can't brood in the coop because no electricity for a lamp or heating pad. At my next house...someday...

I have 15 pullets and a rooster. One of our pullets - Big Mama - has been roosting on a lower roost. There’s enough room for them on the higher roost. I think part of it is she’s a Light Brahma and she’s large (hence the name) and it may be hard for her to get up and down. She’s not lowest on the pecking order, she’s actually kind of at the top. Maybe she just likes her space?

Definitely could be this too! She usually likes to be by the other Wyandotte and isn't normally shy to push her way into whatever spot she wants. The other Wyandotte is much larger and I keep waiting for the day she stops going up to the top. I was going to make her a little step but she gets up there okay so I don't know if I just feel like she needs one or if she actually does.

Back
Top Bottom