Roosting Bar Layout Options with Poll (Please vote!)

Which Roosting Bar Option

• Option 1

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Option 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option 3

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Other (Please Post Suggestion)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ColoradoPip

Songster
5 Years
May 3, 2015
Denver, CO
I'm working on a roosting bar setup. Having trouble deciding so I laid it out a few ways and took pics to see what others think and any other ideas.

In all of the pics, it's a bit tough to see, there is a roost bar going across the door which the roost bar crossing the window is resting on. Those are the highest bars, just higher than the entrances for the highest nest boxes.

Option 1, offset roosts (6ft, 5ft, 5ft) and one 8ft parallel roost up high:
hUyMCo9.jpg

Option 2, a 6ft and 8ft high roost, and one 8ft medium height:
aHYuGBb.jpg

Option 3, two parallel 8ft offset roosts and one perpendicular 6ft:
COKREri.jpg

#1 is ok, I like the offset bars but don't really like having the one perpendicular bar.

#2 came to me as I was playing around and seems like the best use of space and gives the girls the most floor space with nothing above them.

I'm afraid #3 puts the medium height roost too close to the nest boxes on the opposite side. However, I do like the idea of having two 8ft offset roosting bars for ease of cleaning.

BYCers what do you think?! Option 1, 2, 3, or other?

Last edited:
2 drives me bananas, a diagonal roost set up means a) corner's aren't usable on the diagonal beam and b) any birds that did sit under the parts that overlap could get pooped on.

I think of all of those 3 makes the most sense to me, it'll give the birds an easy way to get up and down if they use the lower bar to get up to higher ones. Though I have to question... why a roost bar across the doorway? That seems like... a not fun thing to walk into.

why a roost bar across the doorway? That seems like... a not fun thing to walk into.

That's the "front door" which is really for two things:
1) Quick access to clean under the roost bars
2) Opening up so I can clear the coop out completely using something like a leaf blower

There is a larger door on the "back" of the coop which is easier access, bigger, and you step into an open area of the coop. :)

Back
Top Bottom