Roosting bars..

MsBoPeep

Chirping
Jan 19, 2022
SouthWest Florida
We are nearly finished building our coop and the next project we would like to get done is the roosting bars and run..As far as the roosting bars what do chickens prefer? I've heard from a Youtuber that they prefer rounded bars about an 1"-1 1/2" thick. Is this true or does it matter all that much? We have Rhode Island Reds and Black Sexlinks. Thanks!

Everything I've read says chickens roost flat footed but like to curl the tips of their toes around. The wider side of a 2x4 is ideal, and edges are already smoothed and subtly rounded enough for their toes (unless you got raw lumber that hasn't been planed).

Our roosts have been 2x4. Originally 2" up. During a revamp, we did, 4"up. We did this after hearing it might help to keep their feet warmer in the really cold temps. We put in supports to strengthen the 8' span. Our outdoor run has a tree limb. That is about 3" in diameter. All three seem to work for the chickens. At least they have yet to complain. ;)

Everything I've read says chickens roost flat footed but like to curl the tips of their toes around. The wider side of a 2x4 is ideal, and edges are already smoothed and subtly rounded enough for their toes (unless you got raw lumber that hasn't been planed).
Yeah I'm not sure where I got that idea from haha. I'm going to go with the 2x4 since that makes my life much easier anyway. Thanks for the reply!

Back
Top Bottom