Roosting bars..

The more people you talk to the more different ideas you will get about roosts. Some people can feel pretty passionate about their opinions. And everyone can come up with studies or reasons why their way is best, whatever way that is. It's just something I find that people care about much more than the chickens do.

I'll link to where someone tried different roosts to see what the chickens preferred. Some people might find it interesting reading. This is only on what the chickens preferred, not what is best as far as supporting the feet while roosting. There are different studies that come to different conclusions on that.

Perch Experiment

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-perch-experiment.74272/

Some people want a flat roost, on the theory that the chickens will squat on their feet in freezing weather and protect against frostbite. What I see is that when they squat on the thinner roosts in cold weather their feet disappear in their feathers anyway. In Southern Florida that is not a concern for you at all. In my opinion as long as you don't get below -20 F (-30 C) that's not a big deal anyway, but that's my opinion. That's worth no more and no less than anyone else's opinion.

In my opinion roosts should be wood because of the heat conductive properties. Wood does not conduct heat well. In South Florida you are not worried about cold but it's possible too much heat could be a problem.

Chickens will roost on totally flat surfaces, like a shelf over 12" wide. I've seen them try to roost on a 3/4" wide piece of plywood on end. That's too thin, it's hard for them to stay balanced but that hen did. I kind of use the width of a 2x4 on edge as a minimum though I've seen them roost on tree branches thinner than that. as far as I'm concerned 2x4's are great, whether on edge or flat. If you use lumber I suggest you sand off the sharp edges whether they are flat or on edge. That's not because it is more comfortable for them to grasp but to remove the danger of splinters.

1-1/2" diameter or larger round wooden bars would work well as long as they are strong enough to not sag under the weight of the chickens. That's going to depend on the span. Tree limbs can work great too. My main roosts are tree limbs because they were available after an ice storm. I have a secondary roost with a 2x4 on edge because I had that available when I needed it and the way it was framed in on edge was easier.

The more people you talk to the more different ideas you will get about roosts. Some people can feel pretty passionate about their opinions. And everyone can come up with studies or reasons why their way is best, whatever way that is. It's just something I find that people care about much more than the chickens do.

That's just what I was going to say.

My roosts are natural "branches" -- actually the trunks of saplings we were clearing. Because 2x4's cost money and the trees needed clearing anyway.

1030211856b.jpg

1031210922.jpg

I think that's what I might do as well! I was under the impression they need something wrap their foot around but I don't think that's the case..
That's true of songbirds, cockatiels, etc - but not chickens. Chickens actually rest on their keel bone, and use their feet more for balance, not as much for gripping. I use 2x4s, and I've had them both ways; my flock prefers the 2" side.

I have 3 inch round branch and 2×3 stud on the other side of each other. Most if not all prefer the 2x3 stud over the round branch.
You could try a fun experiment. Swap the two and, after a week, see if shape really is what makes the difference. I did that once with a 2x4 flat, 2x4 on edge, and a tree branch. That's a big reason why I think people care more about the shape of the roost than chickens do. I found that location in the coop was more important.

Yeah I'm not sure where I got that idea from haha. I'm going to go with the 2x4 since that makes my life much easier anyway. Thanks for the reply!
I also use 2x4"s, 4in side up and originally used a palm sander to round the edges. I'm a bit of a neat freak so I purchased a sponge sander ($2) and every now and then if there is poo or whatnot on the roosts, I'll grab it and give them a good once over to keep everthing smooth and clean ;) Just a suggestion. Can't wait to see some pics

Anything under 2" has the potential danger of sagging. It all depends on how long your roost is and how many birds are sitting on it. You may try to do some math and allocate 12" per bird, times X number of birds, and come up with a number of birds that would be on the roost... But you might be surprised just how many birds can squish together in a small space if they really wanted to! You can give them plenty of linear inches on multiple roosts, and yet they all might want to be on That One, pile up on it, sag it and snap it. Better be safe and go wider than 2".

My roosts are tree branches because they are easily available on my property and in the woods nearby. Make sure it's a relatively fresh branch though, or one collected in the dry season - if it's been sitting around in the woods for a while, or if there's been a lot of rain, it could have started decomposing, even if it's not immediately visible, and it can snap unexpectedly. I needed a new roost last year and could not find a single usable branch in all the woods nearby, even though there were plenty of fallen branches all over the woods. That's because we had a record-breaking wet summer, and everything was rotten through. I ended up asking on my neighborhood facebook group, and sure enough, a lady had a large limb fall in her yard from one of her trees, and she didn't know what to do with it, so it was a very happy exchange.

Back
Top Bottom