Roosting battles

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by crazychick26201, Aug 30, 2016.

1. crazychick26201

crazychick26201 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    West Virginia
    My big girls won't let my new girls on the roost. They keep shoving them off. Every night is a fight. This has gone on for over a week. My new ones are 21 weeks old. They have been together for almost a month with the young ones going back into their grow out coop to roost for the night. Fairly peaceful during the day, but at night it's battle for a roost spot time. Should I add another roost or will it eventually resolve itself? Thanks.

2. wingedshade

wingedshade Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2016
    Delta junction, Alaska
    If they don't have enough space per bird, you should add another roost. There should be about 8 to 12 inches of roost space per bird. If they do have room, I saw on another thread somebody made a cardboard barrier that sectioned off part of the roost so the obnoxious birds couldn't see the younger one and thus didn't pester them as much.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Whilst the rule of thumb for roost space is 1ft per bird, as always with these generalisations, the more space, the better. Providing there is sufficient space, i would let them work it out - all will be well (eventually). Roosting time is always a good time for squabbling and pecking, so it seems!

CT

1 person likes this.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How many birds? How much roost space? Can you post pics of your roost/coop?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If at all possible to add another roost by all means do so, just a little lower than the main roost and as far away as possible.
    They may eventually merge and share the space, but my pullets are 6 months old and most of them, most the time, use the separate roost.

1 person likes this.
  6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    In addition to adding an additional roost, you might be able to realize better integration by simply moving roosts to a different location or even turning them at a right angle horizontally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by