1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosting chickens face which way?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by joebryant, Jun 9, 2008.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I need to plan my roosts. Do chickens normally face away from the back wall that they're closest to? Will they usually face a window on the wall across from them? Do they face different directions from those closest to them?

2. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Mine just sort of mob. It looks pretty random. Maybe I just have retarded chickens though. I'll be curious to hear what other's chickens do.

3. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Great question...

Mine actually roost facing the wall and windows. They never face the open part of the coop.

4. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    As far as I can tell, every which way! lol Especially with 14 out of 16 all on the top tier! [​IMG]

5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Mine face every which way too! Also they try to see just how many they can cram on one ladder rung! [​IMG]

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Our chickens roost facing whichever way they want also.

Our 2 by 4 roosts, in the main coop run from north to south and it's normal here for them to be faced : east, west, west, east, east, west...then be totally opposite the next night.

Dawn

7. Top Hen

Top Hen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Mine just started roosting but they are random. Some face the wall, others face the window.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Mine might be ocd like me... they all sleep facing the same way in the smaller breeder coop, and in the larger coop, they all sleep facing in. With all the birds on the same roost facing the same direction...

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    No ryhme or reason or pattern to it that I've seen with mine, they just face whichever way they want.

10. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    For the most part they all face the same direction (out) except Beth. Beth never gets the memo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by