Roosting chickens.

Orpie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 3, 2014
Georgia
Have 12 birds. 7 pullets, 3 roosters, a Barred Rock and a Black Austtralop. The BR & BA are older hens from a friend who was going to slaughter them. The were laying quite consistently when I introduced them to my flock and continued to do so within my flock. Due to my birds roosting on there nest boxes and my built in brooder box I realized through posts here that I had my roosts too low. Since changing their positions my other 10 birds will not allow them to roost on the new roosts. There is more than sufficient room, it jut that my original 10 will not let the BR & BA roost with them.
In turn they stay in the floor at night. Since making this change they've not layed any eggs.
My question is does then. It roosting properly affect the laying process?

A few of my biddies!!!

Have 12 birds. 7 pullets, 3 roosters, a Barred Rock and a Black Austtralop. The BR & BA are older hens from a friend who was going to slaughter them. The were laying quite consistently when I introduced them to my flock and continued to do so within my flock. Due to my birds roosting on there nest boxes and my built in brooder box I realized through posts here that I had my roosts too low. Since changing their positions my other 10 birds will not allow them to roost on the new roosts. There is more than sufficient room, it jut that my original 10 will not let the BR & BA roost with them.
In turn they stay in the floor at night. Since making this change they've not layed any eggs.
My question is does then. It roosting properly affect the laying process?
A few of my biddies!!!

Hello there! I don't think it's the roost so much as change! In general, chickens like routine and if you do something to alter it they do get a bit upset. I would go back to the original plan, or failing that, make a roost somewhere else for the 'odd couple'
smile.png
. Good luck with it!

Before altering the layout of the coop again, I would try and go down after dark for the next few days and try manually putting your girls up on the roost once the "popular girls clique" has gotten sleepy enough to not cause a fuss. If they will allow it, try snuggling your outcast girls right in cozy with the others. If they make a fuss, even just on the roost but a little further down might work until they get used to it.

Not a pro here, just something I would try. :)

I
Hello  there! I don't think it's the roost so much as change! In general, chickens like routine and if you do something to alter it they do get a bit upset. I would go back to the original plan, or failing that, make a roost somewhere else for the 'odd couple' :) . Good luck with it!

I have given some thought to putting in another roost for the odd couple.

Before altering the layout of the coop again, I would try and go down after dark for the next few days and try manually putting your girls up on the roost once the "popular girls clique" has gotten sleepy enough to not cause a fuss.    If they will allow it, try snuggling your outcast girls right in cozy with the others.   If they make a fuss, even just on the roost but a little further down might work until they get used to it.

Not a pro here, just something I would try. :)

I did this initially when I made this change, but I didn't wait until they were truly settled in. Perhaps I need to give it another shot, but in the manner you've suggested

How high did you make the new roost...can everyone get up and down OK?
I had to add ramps because my coop is too narrow for some of them to jump down without crashing into the wall.

How big is your roost....1 foot of length per bird, nice and wide(2x4 wide side up) for stability walking along it?
My birds are crazy when jockeying for position at roost time.

Other suggestions are good too.....don't try to move them until well after dark, and another roost can be a good idea too if it will fit.

How high did you make the new roost...can everyone get up and down OK?
I had to add ramps because my coop is too narrow for some of them to jump down without crashing into the wall.

How big is your roost....1 foot of length per bird, nice and wide(2x4 wide side up) for stability walking along it?
My birds are crazy when jockeying for position at roost time.

Other suggestions are good too.....don't try to move them until well after dark, and another roost can be a good idea too if it will fit.

New roosts are about 3 feet off the ground. I have a ladder that I built for them to get up & down.
There is definitely enough space.
Roosts are made from actual tree limbs and are about 3-31/2" in diameter. They love them!!!
It's just that the BR is the "dominant" hen. So throughout the day she "rules the roost", but at night they all get her back and won't let her on it!!!!

Looks like politics. BR can whip individuals in a scrap but when subordinate group unites, especially under leadership of males, the BR is then whipped. I would make so BR has her own physicaly separate roost option. If she is already imprinted on current lower location then you will have get her to want a different location.

Looks like politics. BR can whip individuals in a scrap but when subordinate group unites, especially under leadership of males, the BR is then whipped. I would make so BR has her own physicaly separate roost option. If she is already imprinted on current lower location then you will have get her to want a different location.

Agreed!!!

Back
Top Bottom