Roosting in the rafters?

babsterh

Chirping
11 Years
Jan 9, 2013
Suffolk, VA
Does anyone else have this problem? Our girls have 3 very nice roosting bars, ample space for the 14 girls. Yet, they all seem to risk their lives nightly to sleep on the roof rafters. Getting up and down seems to be quite laborious for them...I'm afraid they'll get hurt. We've had a few fall from the rafters, in the summer I don't use shavings in their coop, just a linoleum floor with a dusting of powdered PDZ. Comments are welcome!

Almost all of my chickens have tried to get as high in the building as possible. Some of the rafters are 10' high. The higher they get, the safer they feel - for good reason. When I have a bird that decides to sleep in a tree, they go up about 20'.

I would be very concerned about the landing. Why don't you use shaving? It makes cleaning up/absorbing feces much easier.
About 4" of shavings makes for a soft landing.

Does anyone else have this problem? Our girls have 3 very nice roosting bars, ample space for the 14 girls. Yet, they all seem to risk their lives nightly to sleep on the roof rafters. Getting up and down seems to be quite laborious for them...I'm afraid they'll get hurt. We've had a few fall from the rafters, in the summer I don't use shavings in their coop, just a linoleum floor with a dusting of powdered PDZ. Comments are welcome!

Ditto Dat^^

mine used to fight each other for the rafter space and the losers were stuck on the regular roost bar. They seem to have sorted out who goes where now. They have no issue getting up there or down. I keep pine shavings on the floor. They jump on the lower roosts to get up to the rafter but to come down it's just a couple flaps of the wing and they are on the ground and out the pop door. I let them be. At least they've moved on from the pile on the floor when they first moved to the coop.

Back
Top Bottom