roosting in the windows?

mrsruvi

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 19, 2011
Tucson
My chickens used to roost on their little 2x4 roosting "bar" inside the coop until about a month ago when they started cuddling up in the windows. The windows are covered with fencing and are about 4 feet off the ground, so i am not terribly concerned for their safety but it just a little weird.

Is it because of the heat? or are they just weird?

92576_dsc_0181.jpg

PS i've replaced the chicken wire since this picture was taken, no one panic about the loose wiring!

Last edited:
Sounds like because of the heat, chickens lay where it is more comfortable. Once the weather changes they will be right back to there normal roost
D.gif

I've read that some chickens prefer higher roosts. I have 1 leghorn that tries to roost on the window sills in my coop, which are higher than the roost bar. She gets the rest of the flock, who prefer the roost bar, stirred up at roost time. Some nights it is almost chaos, as she flies from one window sill to another trying to get comfortable, while the others are jockeying for the preferred spot on the roost bar. Silly chicken antics
smile.png
Miss leghorn is still young so I hope eventually she settles for the roost with the others..

Back
Top Bottom