roosting in the windows?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsruvi, Aug 11, 2011.

1. mrsruvi

mrsruvi Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Tucson
    My chickens used to roost on their little 2x4 roosting "bar" inside the coop until about a month ago when they started cuddling up in the windows. The windows are covered with fencing and are about 4 feet off the ground, so i am not terribly concerned for their safety but it just a little weird.

Is it because of the heat? or are they just weird?

[​IMG]

PS i've replaced the chicken wire since this picture was taken, no one panic about the loose wiring!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Sounds like because of the heat, chickens lay where it is more comfortable. Once the weather changes they will be right back to there normal roost [​IMG]

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    love this picture!!

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:X2 [​IMG]

5. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I've read that some chickens prefer higher roosts. I have 1 leghorn that tries to roost on the window sills in my coop, which are higher than the roost bar. She gets the rest of the flock, who prefer the roost bar, stirred up at roost time. Some nights it is almost chaos, as she flies from one window sill to another trying to get comfortable, while the others are jockeying for the preferred spot on the roost bar. Silly chicken antics [​IMG] Miss leghorn is still young so I hope eventually she settles for the roost with the others..

6. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Love the picture, very pretty chickens. Some chicken behaviour is understandable, such as wanting to be on a high roost - it goes right back to before they were domesticated and wanted to find the safest place to spend the night. However, other chicken behaviour is beyond me completely!

http://muckycluckers.blogspot.com/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by